Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is all cast iron equal?

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking to buy some ci for the egg.

Researching a few different brands. So is most cast iron by definition pretty much the same?

I like the lodge. Been on their site. I like the apparent quality and also the fact it is made in USA. Many on the forum seem to like this brand.

Would appreciate some input here.

Comments

• porterhouse64
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Lodge.

It is largely a regional company.

Griswold (sp) is popular with yankees.

Go with lodge. Season with lard or bacon grease in the egg.

Never clean it with anything execpt hot water.

No soap ever!!!! It will mess up the seasoning.

To get cast iron up to its true non stick potential, you must cook with it regularly for decades.

I have a few pieces that are smooth as glass on the inside and never stick.

Hit a few yard sales and flea markets to try to find some used cast iron.

Hope this helps.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I am no expert but I have a couple of cheap pieces that work fine. the internal finish seems to be the big difference on the high end stuff I have looked at. personally i am converting to emile henry for everything I can get my hands on. Keep On Eggin'
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I prefer antique cast iron. It just seems to be cast better. Griswold or WagnerWare are a couple of good brands. WW is usually less expensive. Here in New England, I can generally find what I need in the local antique shops. Disclaimer: I have used mine only on my stove top or in the oven... since I don't have my egg yet.

Need to find a Dutch oven. I have one, but I am NOT putting a LeCrueset in an Egg!! :woohoo:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Can’t say for a fact….But I have heard that “made in USA” better over all. The exception to this may be the enamel coated cast. I have one from Belgium that has to be at least 49 years old and still going strong!!!
    I have a lot of CI, some very old and some very new, all of which has USA stamped on the bottom even if no other markings.
    All I have seems to be good (from griddles to dutch ovens) with only one exception and this isn’t really bad either. I have one rather old #9 Griswold that has a bit of a warp to the bottom.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    if you can afford to pick and choose, as far as pans go, don't buy anything new unless the interior bottom (and sides, if available) are flat-ground. Most today is (of-course) sand cast, and so the interior is bumpy, like a nonstick pan but without the non-stick coating.

here's a shot of my great granmother's pan (now mine). one of a few we inherited. See how it's ground flat? that pan is more non-stick than any so-called non-stick pan i've ever used. and the coating doesn't flake off because there isn't one. (i took this pic yesterday for a post about last night's dinner. who knew it'd do double duty)

look how shiny slick and jet black that is...
    beanpuree.jpg

little closer. this one is newer than my number "0", and the sides aren't perfectly smooth (see the rings from grinding?).

castiron.jpg

keep an eye on eBay for wagner ware, or at yardsales. if you need a pan tomorrow, i dunno. maybe newer pricier ones can be had that are ground flat. the cheap chinese stuff isn't. don't know about lodge.

i dunno if all old pieces were ground, like dutch ovens, etc.. or even if a dutch oven needs to be. if it's just for liquids, no problem. but if you were frying meat (like for stew), i might want the D.O. to be ground flat.

i picked up some old pieces last weekend, but they aren't antique, and are NOT ground smooth inside.

here they are pre- and post-seasoning. used stuff is cheap and sometimes better.

pre-seasoning
    castironbarnfinds-1.jpg

and post...
    reseasonedcastiron.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    LC in a BGE is fine. just might get smokey and need some cleaning.

little wipe with dish detergent beforehand will allow the smoke to come right off (according to CW). but the enamel won't be in any danger from the fire.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Ive always been told when it comes to CI dont buy anything except made in USA .

The ones made in china seem to be thinner and and have various other alloys

Lodge is a good brand. I need to hit some garage sales and find myself a Dutch Oven and a couple of pans myself
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Serial Griller
    Options
    Ditto..NO CHINA CRAP!It's like everything else that comes from there...You don't know what it made from...or what's in it??? Lead????
    Lodge is good stuff!
  • stike
    Options
    kinda tough to get the lead to hang around through the process of smelting iron.

not defending chinese cast iron by any means, i'm just always skeptical of inspecific warnings.

most lead issues come from mexican pottery, or highly decorated stuff (painted) being used in cooking. even American products (some slow cooking inserts) have allowed lead to leach into the food.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have several Le Creuset pieces that have all spent literally hundreds of hours in the eggs for various cooks. I have used them from 250* to over 500* (without the lid handle) with no problems. They clean perfectly with a little OxiClean or Softscrub.

I would challenge anyone to differentiate mine from others than have never been in a smoker. There is no risk whatsoever in using them in the BGE...for the record.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Stike,

Thanks for the tutorial on CI - I've found a new hobby, i.e., collecting CI at least trying to collect some. :woohoo:

Now you're my wife's favorite person as she couldn't get me to yard sale or flea market in the over 30 years we've been married. :( - now I'm lookng forward to it :)

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I know for a fact that Wood Stoves of CI that are from China don’t hold up very well…
    As far as Lodge goes; it is a good brand. I have a # 12 that is machined flat. Don’t know if all Lodge is, but the “12” is.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Cool! All this CI talk sent me to my usually well stocked antique shop this afternoon to buy a Dutch oven specifically for the egg. They had nothing! Not a single piece! I was afraid the LC would be damaged by the smoke from the egg. Thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Bill, if you ever get down to Fredericksburg (my hometown), there are quite a few antique shops downtown (corner of William and Caroline Streets is a good place to branch out from). Haven't looked there for CI in a while so no guarantees, but worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.

Say hey to my Mom. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stike
    Options
    re: the stoves. depends how thin they are.

as for pans.... all comes down to whether you know what you are looking at. if you have no idea what you are looking at or what quality it is, go by brand name i guess.
  • stike
    Options
    apparently dude couldn't couldn't read my english.
    hahaha

wtf.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    I do get to Fredericksburg on occasion. Thanks for the advise.
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    If you should happen to visit Myrtle Beach on vacation, there is a Lodge factory outlet store that is comprehensively stocked, provides regular cooking demos, and offers attractive prices.