Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help deciding on Adjustable Rig Parts

iahawkfan16
iahawkfan16 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have the large BGE and want to get the adjustable rig. I have the grate that came w/ the egg, the large cast iron grate, and the bge grid extender. I dont think i would get much use out of the spider, since I sear most everything on my large CI. What parts of the adjustable rig would i get the most use out of? Thank you!

Jason

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

For me the spider is almost as important as the A/R. I use it to be able to do indirect cooking with a drip pan, using the Dutch Oven, use a frying pan. I use the spider in normal position and inverted position.

I would also get the maximum amount of extra grids and support bars, a drip pan and the Wok. These accessories are not all that expensive and if you get them at the same time you will save on shipping. I don't use these pieces all that much but when I need them, I have them available.

The A/R, Spider and other parts are some of the best accessories I have got for my large.

Most of my cooks involve the A/R & Spider but below is a few of the specific spider use.

Indirect
    eggcioppinoa.jpg

Inverted to cook chili, the DO was small so I used the drip pan so the DO would sit on the spider
    chili1.jpg

Inverted for a Pot Roast Cook
    doroast3.jpg

The rest of the pictures are Spider inverted holding the drip pan shown above.
    beefrib3done.jpg

packer6.jpg

chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

GG
  • I forgot to mention i have the large platesetter for indirect. Would i still need the spider? Thanks for the help, those pictures looked great!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    The spider is great for hold a WOK. With a pizza stone it will allow you to do multi-tier low and slow cooks.

I have platesetters for all my eggs and I have adjustable rigs for all my eggs as well. They are both well used.
  • Great help guys, thank you. What grate should I get for the spider?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I don't use the plate setter much at all except when cooking pizza.

For pizza, some point in time I am going to play around with just using the spider, drip pan for indirect, then the A/R, pizza stone.

If you get what I suggested in my post above you will have all the 'attachments' for the Spider and Adjustable Rig.

With the spider I use the Wok and a Drip Pan, Tom has them both available when you order the A/R.

GG
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    You don't need a grate for the spider. While it used by some to hold a grate it's common use is to hold a pizza stone (for indrect), wok or DO.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Don't count out the "WOO3".
    Simple, easy and will work with both your existing grates.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cahuck
    cahuck Posts: 31
    I also got their slider, drip tray and two oval grids. They make a lot of sense when you start to play with them and can see the optional configurations couple with the rest of what you have.

Spider inverted works perfect for my wok with handle too.

Now I want a 13" CI grid for serious searing!
  • Get the A.R. and the spider with a 13" CI grate, better for searing right above the coals. I leave too close to Tom, 30 miles away!!! I just got the slider setup and did ribs this past weekend...one word...WOW. He has a lot of good advice and is a super guy to deal with, just keep your credit cards put away?!?!?! Have fun,
    Joe