Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the wheel

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

The wheel vent on my large egg is pretty much clogged up and hard to open when it is cold. Any comments re cleaning?[p]Appreciated.

Comments

• Wyldwood
    Options
    Cuffs,
    After I take the food off the grill, I sit the daisy wheel inside then shut the egg down. The heat melts any grease, etc.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Cuffs,
    I do the same thing. If you need to clean it before using again, fire up the egg to steak-searing temps, put the daisy wheel on the grill. You'll clean both grill and daisy wheel at the same time.

• Basselope
    Basselope Posts: 102
    Options
    Cuffs,
    Don't clean it. The dirtier it gets, the better it seals.
    (insert smilie thing here)[Damn I wish we had v-bulletin so I could use real smilies here]
    [smart ass mode off]
    I have not cleaned mine since I bought it. It really does seal better dirty than clean. YMMV

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    Cuffs,[p]I agree with putting the daisy wheel in the EGG when the temp. reaches sear stage. Just be sure to coat it with Crisco or something similiar to prevent rust. It will be very prone to rust after this treatment if Crisco or other cooking oil is not used. Mac
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Cuffs,[p]Soak it overnight in a small container of sudsy ammonia. Put on some rubber gloves and give it a good cleaning (dishwashing liquid) the next day and it will be good as new with paint preserved.[p]K~G

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    basselope,
    i agree.[p]both the top of my egg and the daisy wheel have a sooty coating with enough fat in it to help seal pesk drafty cracks.[p]i find the daisy helps hold temps better than ever, because the thing only vent out the VENTS, and not thru miscellaneous cracks....

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante