Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spider/griddle first use - questions

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I used my spider last night in conjunction with the new griddle (both birthday presents from a few weeks ago). I got the Bayou Classic and had to cut one handle off (what a job that was) to make it fit. I seared 2 steaks (one ribeye, one filet) for about 90 seconds a side on the grill side (not that flat side) and it seared them very nicely. I then took them out and griddle off (boy that was a job) to lower the temp and finish cooking till 130.

My question is, how do you get the griddle out? Mine had some juices in it that spilled and flamed up. It was also very challenging getting my mitted hand around the sides of the griddle to grab a hold of it. By the time I got it out and down on the concrete it was burning my hand even through my gloved hand.

I don't think leaving the griddle in would be a good idea???

Comments

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Leave the griddle on the spider. As you said, taking it out while hot is difficult. I find with the griddle in, the dome temp settles in around 400-450 degrees, a good finishing temp atop the rig. you can also throw a small chunk of mesquite on the griddle for smoke.

After you finish dinner, come back and remove the griddle. Brush and give it a quick shot of Pam. Put it back in the egg atop the rig/grid. It will reseason as the egg cools. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 524
    Options
    Glousteau, I leave my griddle in when I go from sear to roast. Just shut down your vents as needed and let the egg do it’s magic. I also use it for my heat deflector for all my low and slow so I know long exposure doesn’t hurt. Now with that said, cleaning it up to use again is a little work.
    The few times I have to remove it while hot, I use channel lock pliers, grab the edge and lift out. Be careful about setting it on concrete while hot, can cause the concrete to pop. Won’t say why I know about that. Good luck.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.