Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Medium capacity question

RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
edited 7:38AM in EggHead Forum
One of my electricians made the mistake of bringing up the topic of grills and smoker the other day and now he wants an egg :laugh: I couldn't answer one of his questions though. How bigga turkey will fit on a medium? While I'm at it. What about ribs? Does the diameter kinda handcuff ya on BB ribs?

Thanks

Comments

• NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Adam, I can't speak to the turkey question but some one will. wrt to butts: I can get three largish butts on with an indirect cook and I've cooked 4 racks of ribs - others are more aggressive than me in the rib department.

Bad news about the medium is you don't have all the toys available and the good news is you don't have all the toy$ available if you get my drift.

I'm making out fine with the medium but I don't have large crowds to cook for normally just me and the wife. Add my two sons during summer break which is ending soon (yippee empty nester syndrome again).
  • I cooked a 26 pounder last Thanksgiving - mind you ir took some time to find the right shape - kinda squatty and round, but it fit!!
  • A 12 lb turkey fits comfortably and I have done a 17 pounder although things were a little tight and restricted air flow. I can cook a whole packer brisket (12 lbs) and frequently cook 2 butts (16 lbs) on a single grate. I believe I could easily get three in with a second grill. I love my medium and normally only cook for the wife and I but have fed 6 grown-ups fairly easily cooking steaks. Actually fed 24+ people at church with a couple of butts.
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    :ohmy: I believe you for sure. Thanks for the info.

Any pictures of that bad boy?
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Thanks Tim,
    17 sounds reasonable...26 as posted above, sounds a wee bit snug. No?
  • A 12 lb turkey fits comfortably and I have done a 17 pounder although things were a little tight and restricted air flow. I can cook a whole packer brisket (12 lbs) and frequently cook 2 butts (16 lbs) on a single grate. I believe I could easily get three in with a second grill. I love my medium and normally only cook for the wife and I but have fed 6 grown-ups fairly easily cooking steaks. Actually fed 24+ people at church with a couple of butts.
  • NO!! I am on the hunt for another to recreate and document the cook.....
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,989
    Morning Adam:

The link HERE will show you the time I did six slabs of BB ribs on a medium. You can get a LOT on a medium if you are creative.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ST1SSDVST1SSDV Posts: 25
    Looks like you packed that thing for a Northern Run.