Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium capacity question

Options
Ripnem
Ripnem Posts: 5,511
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my electricians made the mistake of bringing up the topic of grills and smoker the other day and now he wants an egg :laugh: I couldn't answer one of his questions though. How bigga turkey will fit on a medium? While I'm at it. What about ribs? Does the diameter kinda handcuff ya on BB ribs?

Thanks

Comments

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Adam, I can't speak to the turkey question but some one will. wrt to butts: I can get three largish butts on with an indirect cook and I've cooked 4 racks of ribs - others are more aggressive than me in the rib department.

Bad news about the medium is you don't have all the toys available and the good news is you don't have all the toy$ available if you get my drift.

I'm making out fine with the medium but I don't have large crowds to cook for normally just me and the wife. Add my two sons during summer break which is ending soon (yippee empty nester syndrome again).
  • QCA Egger
    Options
    I cooked a 26 pounder last Thanksgiving - mind you ir took some time to find the right shape - kinda squatty and round, but it fit!!
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    A 12 lb turkey fits comfortably and I have done a 17 pounder although things were a little tight and restricted air flow. I can cook a whole packer brisket (12 lbs) and frequently cook 2 butts (16 lbs) on a single grate. I believe I could easily get three in with a second grill. I love my medium and normally only cook for the wife and I but have fed 6 grown-ups fairly easily cooking steaks. Actually fed 24+ people at church with a couple of butts.
  • Ripnem
    Options
    :ohmy: I believe you for sure. Thanks for the info.

Any pictures of that bad boy?
  • Ripnem
    Options
    Thanks Tim,
    17 sounds reasonable...26 as posted above, sounds a wee bit snug. No?
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    A 12 lb turkey fits comfortably and I have done a 17 pounder although things were a little tight and restricted air flow. I can cook a whole packer brisket (12 lbs) and frequently cook 2 butts (16 lbs) on a single grate. I believe I could easily get three in with a second grill. I love my medium and normally only cook for the wife and I but have fed 6 grown-ups fairly easily cooking steaks. Actually fed 24+ people at church with a couple of butts.
  • QCA Egger
    Options
    NO!! I am on the hunt for another to recreate and document the cook.....
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Adam:

The link HERE will show you the time I did six slabs of BB ribs on a medium. You can get a LOT on a medium if you are creative.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• ST1SSDV
    ST1SSDV Posts: 33
    Options
    Looks like you packed that thing for a Northern Run.