Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new egger, trouble smoking first butt

Options
bgarbee
bgarbee Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got an egg this weekend. Tried my first butt today and it is still cooking but I have had the fire go out twice already. My question is at what point do I close the lid and start smoking, should I let all the lump start burning or just base it on the temp of the egg. What is the best way to light the egg for a long smoke? I have a charcoal starter, would that help things?

Comments

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    How did you light your fire? place the lump?.I use twisted paper towels dipped with oil,placed at 10 2 and 6,light -let flames go out-close lid-let temp come to 250-put wood chunks,platesetter and close lid.Let smoke come clear and temp come set at 250 for 15-20 min and then put meat on.I watch it at this stage and make minor adjustments.Daisy is at 1/4 open -bottem 1/2 inch.
    My two sense,hope it helps.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • bcrawfo2
    bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
    Options
    First...hang in there. I got my egg about a month ago and did my first butt overnight (last night). It was the best pulled pork I've ever had.

So...a summary of what I've read so far.
    Did you build your fire right? Are the holes in the firebox clear. Large lump on the bottom, then medium..then small. Fill in some of the holes with small pieces.
    Make sure you actually got it lit well enough. Let things stabilize before you put your meat in. I use a MAPP torch (had it for home improvement) and light in three places.

I cheated....for my and my wife's sanity. I got a Stoker. People will tell you to learn how to maintain temp before you work with a powered blower system...but I know myself and I couldn't rest on overnight cooks.

Good luck.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    bgarbee, You got mail
  • BullyC
    BullyC Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi
    As far as lighting the egg, like other gentlemen said,
    keep holes open for air circulation to keep going.
    Important, calibrate your thermometer, take off egg
    and adjust it to 212 boiling water, then you know
    you have right temp. I use the electric starter from bge, works great, leave in for 6-7 minutes, fire,
    can also use weber cubes, just stick in center and light, you will figure it out. Last be patient, you just purchased egg, and might have a couple failures
    before you get the hang of it, I did. Last, if you want to cook at 250 or any temp, get to that temp then learn
    how to adjust your vents to maintain temp. that was said earlier too. You will get it, good luck Bullyc