Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

TREX steak animal style

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my Birthday steak last Saturday. It was a 24 oz porterhouse. I had the butcher cut it to 1 1/2 inches thick. Worked the BGE medium into a lava frenzy; bellowing the coals like Dante's Inferno. Prepared the meat with salt/pepper & garlic rub. Smothered with spicey brown musturd and sprayed with olive oil. Then I threw that puppy right in the fire. 2 minutes aside. Nice pyrotechnics. Rested 20 minutes. Put the grill back on the BGE and cooked @ 400 till med rare.[p]Fantastic. Thanks TRex for your inspired way of cookin!

Comments

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Ken from CAL,[p]Did you get good carmelization? I have tried the Trex method but prefer the 3-3-4 method of "dwelling in the shell," mainly because I get one very nicely charred side. But I've wondered whether I really hit nuke temps for the initial sears with the Trex method. Thought?
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    JK,[p]I usually have no problem getting a good char searing at > 750F with the dome open. Plenty of flames, plenty of heat. If the char is not enough for you, just lengthen your sear time and shorten your "roast" time (after the 20 minute rest).[p]TRex
  • JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    TRex,[p]You're probably right. I have a difficult time getting my small to that temp...or maybe I'm just not patient enough? Next time I'll shoot for true lava and give it another shot. There are so many fans of your method I probably didn't get it right. Thanks.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    JK,

There's a pretty good chance we'll be doing some ribeyes and filets Friday night at the Florida Q-Fest...come on down and join us for dinner! [p]Tonia
    :~)