Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump Availability - Noob Question

Options
Deaneaux
Deaneaux Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm a noob to egg'in, so cut me some slack on the question.

I'm reading in places on the forum about people "stocking up" on lump for the winter. Do places stop selling lump country-wide? Is this a regional thing? I live in Austin, Texas, so I wouldn't think that places would stop selling lump since there is really not a true winter.

Fire away!

Comments

• bcrawfo2
    bcrawfo2 Posts: 85
    Options
    Dean,
    I've been wondering the same thing. I live in Delaware...we have 2/3 of a winter. I'm pretty sure Lump isn't available here in the winter at the big boxes.
    I would expect (please correct me) that local specialty dealers would have BGE Lump in a pinch and that we could order from Wicked Good (available year-round???)
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    I live in NC. Our local Kmart is out, I bought the last 6 bags, Walmart is out I got the last 18 bags,Home Depot is sold out. I found a source at Sports Authority that said they carry it year round, but that is 40 miles from me. I can get BGE locally for 25$ a bag. Thats twice the price and not twice as good. So for now I have about 24 bags stashed.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I would think that Southern Texas being the BBQ capitol that it is, you shouldn't have a problem. Some of your big box stores may cut back. Hopefully some of your fellow Texans chime in. No problems Here in West Florida. I keep a little stock in prep for those pesky hurricanes. :)
  • mtcwell
    mtcwell Posts: 8
    Options
    Just buy Wicked good Charcoal via the web. Stock up now or wait and buy then. I love that stuff! Its proved to be all it claims to be.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Home Depot, Lowes, etc. cut back on their stock during the winter. HEB, Academy, BBQ Outfitters, etc. all stock lump year-around.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    mtcwell wrote:
    Just buy Wicked good Charcoal via the web. Stock up now or wait and buy then. I love that stuff! Its proved to be all it claims to be.

That is expensive but awesome charcoal. Most of us grill 4 to 6 nights a week. I can not afford to use Wicked all the time. Royal Oak USA is my brand of choice.
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Yelleville Arkansas ,all year long!!!THE BEST LUMP MONEY CAN BUY!!!IMHO!!! ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    GOOD STUFF, but I've found BETTER, CHEAPER!!! :ohmy: !!! The MYTH!! :whistle:B)
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    That's fine if you have one of those places within a couple of hundred miles.... :unsure:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    here in Maine when they are out the end of July or so it is gone till spring.... our local egg dealer does not even stock it in the winter. I stopped one time to get some and they looked at me like I had two heads. so we started buying by the pallet.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    That is just silly!!! What does he expect for his customers to burn in the winter? Or does he think people just put them in the garage and not use them?