Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Firing up my lump....just my two cents

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It seems like no matter what forum I view there is constant debate about the best method of starting lump in the Big Green Egg. I've seen everything from paper towels soaked in EVOO to literally FULL ON weed burners and everything in between.

From my perspective it's about planning a patience; if you want instant TREX then maybe you need a weed burner...if you just want to light your BGE, walk away and go prepare items for cooking, then these "Fire Starters" are perfect.

DSC_0458.jpg

I've used them the past year after trying just about every other method (Mapp Gas included) I found that placed appropriately, one or two of these in a big bowl of lump will light and allow you to get to ANY temp in just a few minutes, of course BGE damper controlling required.

Now I know that this has been tossed around for the entire time that I have been on this forum; I;ve just never seen anyone post this particular method; if they did, here it is again.

In the stores, they run about $3 for 6, however on the internet you can find them fot about $3.60 for 24. As long as I can buy these things...I'm using nothing else personally. My two cents...and KEEP ON EGGIN'
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments

• Dutchcane
    Dutchcane Posts: 15
    Options
    When people light their lump with a propane torch how do they do it? I have just been using firesticks but notice that people use the torches. Whats the advantage to using the torch.
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    quick...accurate...and fun to pretend you're blowing away the enemy with a flamethrower.

Me-- I buy the cheap firesticks at the grocery store and break them into smaller cubes. I find one small cube gets the typical daily dinner fire going fine. Naked Whiz' site has all you need to know about starting the fire...
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I use Mapp gas and nothing else for over 6 years. I have a trigger ignighter. I light the torch and burn 3 spots for about 30 seoonds each, thats it. In about 20 minutes or so I have about 225 degrees. then I adjust temps from there. Real easy and a tank can last up to 3 years.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I didn't have that experience with MAPP. My trigger handle tip burnt out and I couldn't light the flame any longer. I wasn't going to buy another handle. I'm just going to stick with 91% alcohol and good old matches.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    No one agrees on a single method, everyone is right. You use what makes you happy, the fire starters work for me and just as fast as mapp gas or another other method I've tried. There is no single solution.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    Though I've never tried starters - I like the trigger start MAPP torch with 5' hose that I have.

As mentioned, it's fun to use. But I also like it because I can get the egg set up for pizza (with platesetter, copper couplings and stones) and then sneak the torch nozzle in and light the lump. The platesetter and stones actually help because they provide some protection from the sparks that often fly off the lump when it's being torched B)

At any rate - it's better than the charcoal chimney and newspaper method that I was using before I bought the torch. :whistle:
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I use a Mapp torch or starter cubes depending on how big of a hurry I'm in or just my mood. I found a great price on these Rutland starters the other day. $11.25 for 144 cubes. Mike

DSC01055.jpg
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    FOR SURE!!! I think that the alcohol works for me because of it's simplicity. Not to say that I'm simple mind you!!!
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    I had always used various firestarter cubes.

I forget to pick up some at the store one day.

I made the switch to paper towels and vegetable oil.

The same or better results and much less expensive.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I just buy bottles of 91% alcohol at Wal-Mart and squirt a little in 3 or 4 places in the lump and light it. It burns clean and is very inexpensive.

I used to use a syringe to squirt it into the lump, but now I just poke a tiny hole in the seal on the bottle and it comes out in a small stream. Very easy to control and it lights fast.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    Options
    I use a 1oz shot glass full of rubbing alcohol, poured in the middle of a chimney starter filled with lump. 15 mins later I pour chimeny starter w/lit lump over used or new lump in bottom of LG or XL egg.