Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roaches

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a roach issue in our new house in Corpus.

No mas. Made up some roach balls and that did the trick. Have to put them where the crumb snatchers or pets can't get to them.

16 oz. Boric Acid
1 cup Flour
¼ cup Sugar
½ cup Shortening
Small Onion chopped real fine
Enough Water to form dough (about ½ cup)
Mix and form the balls around 1" in diameter
Don't egg em

If they get wet you have to replace them

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Frank,

Do you have Oleander bushes?

We had Oleanders when I lived in Galveston and had the worst roach problem. We were told by locals that the oleanders attracted the roaches.

May have been 'folklore', but just thought I would ask.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Frank,

My Bijon eats everything in sight. He licks the grills when I take them off the egg. Not warm enough for roaches here but how do you keep the dogs out of them?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    How do you put them where the pets can't get 'em?

What does the onion do?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Have yuu been DRANKIN again??? :evil:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    LOL Steven, I have two maltese poodle mixes all white like a bej. don't you love "grill face" black and yukky but they are happy LOL
  • zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    Options
    whats the deal with the onions?? everything else make sense but onions?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Could be right - haven't seen any for a while though. I sprayed the whole yard and put plenty roach balls in the house. We have a gazillion oleanders - here are a few in the back yard - there are plenty on the side of the house as well. Some bloom red and some white - I like them.
    IMG_5050800x600.jpg

Got a bunch of these too :)
    IMG_5051800x600.jpg

There is a metal fence in the middle of all of that. Had to cut my way through the jungle to scrape, wire brush, prime and paint. Now I'm running some 2" x 3" coated wire fencing along the bottom to keep the girls (bichons) inside :laugh: We really like the privacy the landscaping provides from the "golf" course.

View from the "golf" course
    IMG_5053800x600.jpg

Speaking of "golf" course - view of 3rd green
    IMG_5054800x600.jpg

View of 17th fairway
    IMG_5055800x600.jpg

The "golf" course was evidently the best in Corpus for a while but was always about to go broke. A chef from Florida decided he would buy it and have a top knotch restuarant along with a nice course. Along with the fact that there has been only 3" of rain this year and he was losing money he stopped watering all but the greens. To add insult to injury he had the bright idea of watering the course with water from Oso creek. One problem - Oso creek is salt water. :( Haven't been to the restuarant - I've been told it's not that hot.

Gotta get outside and run more fencing before it gets too hot
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    We haven't ever given them table food and I keep the grids, etc. out of reach. The do sniff around after I've been eggin. :)
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I think it's just a scent thing. There is really no scent until you add the onion.

I put them on top of cabinets, behind switch plates, in the back of cabinets under the sink, and a bunch in the attic.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    I would be nervous about eating in a restaurant where the chef tried to water grass with salt water! :ohmy: :ohmy:
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Dead serious, Hoss, despite the adult beverages consumed while cooking. :)

Hey, and look at Frank's answer - Oleanders ALL OVER HIS YARD!

Touche' :woohoo:
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    They like those palm trees too, Frank.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    My thinking exactly, Clark. I just removed that from my post though.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    A course can support a restaurant but a restaurant can't support a golf course. This guy needs a partner with a brain. :huh:

I hope for your sake Frank, that things shape up around that track.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It's closing at the end of the month. He was threatening to develop it because folks weren't supporting it. The planning commision threw a penalty flag on him - the course is part of the drainage in the hood. His bride must be the brains in the family. She was CFO for Whataburger and now CFO at Dominos.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Well that makes scents! ; - )