Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Options
Dave
Dave Posts: 163
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Gang:[p]Has anyone fixed Beef Ribs on the Egg? If so, were they OK or not worth the trouble? JUST WONDERING !!!!!!!![p] Thanks
Dave

Comments

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Dave,[p]I did some recently...here's the thread. My ribs were a bit on the wimpy side, but I'd try again...![p]QBabe
    [ul][li]Beef Ribs Thread [/ul]
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Like Tonia said, Dave, they are worth trying. IMHO, they are the toughest thing to get right. I've tried 5 times with only one really decent result. Some folks say they take a loooooooooong time to cook. Others say cook 'em quick. I think my successful cook was due to the type of beef rib. I never knew cows had so many ribs! Short ribs, plate ribs, beef back ribs, texas beef ribs, and the list goes on. My most successful cook was using the beef back ribs sold in the cryovac packages at Walmart. Also, I noticed on one of the Food Network shows that they used beef flanken ribs (at least that's what the butchers around here label them as) and called them short ribs. These are the cuts about ¼" to ½" thick that have cross sections of three rib bones on one edge. These are great cuts of meat. I cook 'em like a steak. Good luck and let us know what you do and how everything turned out.[p]Best Regards,
    Jim

• Mully
    Mully Posts: 30
    Options
    Dave,
    I cooked some last week about 6hrs and it was the most disapointing results I have had.They were tender and not too greasy but the taste of the meat was terrible to me and the wife.I used a recipe from here that would be great on another cut of meat.We threw them in the garbage and went out to dinner.
    I guess you must try them and judge for your self.
    Mully

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Dave, QBabes were a bit thin on meat based on the picture. I have found full meaty ribs from a local butcher. Do not buy overly trimmed ribs from the supermarket. I have had great beef ribs the last few times I did them. Keep the dome temp at 225 and no higher. Thats the big key I have found. If you have 3 racks it works fine at about 4-5 hours, indirect only. I tried 2 racks for 5 hrs and they died. One thing that has a good affect is to foil wrap the ribs the last hour. Keep them wraped till serving, then sauce them up. Use apple wood for flavor. Also remove the thin flim/membrane from the back side of the ribs, this will leave a very thin skin, but if you take a sharp knife and run it down the back side of the bone, this will help when the ribs cook and will allow the meat to fall of the bones.

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    BeefRibs06_12_0014_20_01_small.jpg
    <p />Dave, check out the link. I did them one time and decided that baby backs were much better.

[ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • Dave,
    I've done beef ribs twice in the last week, very easy to prep (the ones i did were fresh, not previously frozen)...initial prep same way as the babybacks, pulled off membrane,slathered on mustard, my rub and put in freezer for 1/2hr till egg stayed at 250 for that half hour..put them on the grill (indirect)...for close to 3hours....used pecan wood for smoking..
    ribs were tender and tasty.....when you consider that beef ribs are cheaper,not as lean,can be 'stringy'... but if picked right, can have enough meat on them to be worth it....certainly baby backs are less fatty and more meaty...