Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Temp Control???

Options
BillT
BillT Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought the small BGE but the slide top will not arrive for a week. I am like any new owner and am anxious to do a cook now. The book (I have had a large for two years and am familiar with the value of the book; a holder of the warranty card only!) says you can control the temp with the bottom vent. I have never tried this on my large and want to try a 350 cook; hamburgers then a roast. Can this be done or am I going to further frustrate myself trying?[p]Any guidance from current small owners would be appreciated.[p]Bill T

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Bill T,[p]Can't you do like they did in the olden days ... use the ceramic top, poised at various degrees on top of the flue to adjust airflow? Only thing is, you have to be careful to remember to hold ontoi it when raising the dome totp or you might be picking up pieces. I still use the bottom vent to adjust airflow too, but understand others do things differently.
  • smokeypete
    Options
    Bill T, i cooked for quite a while on my medium without the daisy wheel. you can control the temp pretty well with the rain cap and the bottom vent. the daisy wheel is more convenient as it stays on when opening the cooker, but i doubt if you are able to control the temp any better, at least in the range you want to do, i suspect a lower temp, i.e. for pulled pork, would be a bit more difficult to maintain, but the 350 range is a snap with the rain cap, fire that baby up and enjoy your new toy.