Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket dilemma -- your opinion?

Options
Rich G
Rich G Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Afternoon, all![p]I have a little dilemma (really just a choice to make) concerning a party I'm cooking for next week (dad's 70th surprise.) I will be cooking up two briskets and four whole chickens to go with the rest of the spread. Here are the two options I'm considering:[p]1. Cook the briskets a day ahead of time (including separating point/flat and cooking point more), cool down, then reheat, foiled in a ~300º oven the day of the party. Thus, avoiding having to get up at o'dark hundred to start the fire.[p]2. Cook the briskets the day of, and serve them "fresh" (after a rest in the cooler.)[p]The only reason I'm considering option #1 is that I really don't want to be exhausted before the party even starts.[p]I'm interested in your opinions and what, if any, suggestions you have on the re-heat to preserve as best as possible that "fresh from the pit" brisket taste/texture.[p]Thanks in advance![p]Rich G.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Rich G, I opt for #2 but be sure to give yourself plenty of window. I did 6 briskets at one time this summer (3 each on two BGEs) of about 7 pounds each. Two finished after 15 hours, two had to go 17 hours and two had to go 19 hours. You don't want to mess up your party clothes by sweating it out right at party time. Of course that may mean getting up at o'dark hundred just to make sure everything is going OK (even though we know you don't have to, it just seems that since I wake up to go to the head, I may as well check on the meat at the same time). :-)

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Bill-[p]Thanks for the comments. Unless someone talks me out of it, I'll probably just do the overnighter, and probably cook at a little lower temp than normal to slow things down a bit (I've been getting my 10lb'ers done in 10 hrs.) If I can run at about 210, it'll probably take me much closer to 2hrs/lb, and then I can start them up at 8p the night before and have some leeway. If they get done too early, I'll foil, cool and reheat. If not, then they can rest comfortably in the cooler for a couple hours.[p]I'm probably over thinking this as I tend to do.... :)[p]Have a good weekend.[p]R