Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skewer me, I don't care anymore, Dr. Ward was right...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first butt was done at 200 and it took forever - maybe longer, I can't remember. I have been cranking the temperature up gradually ever since. Then a couple of months back someone mentioned that they “didn’t mind cooking for 24 hours, instead of 16, based on the outcome of the product.[p]Crazy as that sounded, I decided to experiment. Damn, I wish I had that dude/dudette’s post on the subject because they were sooooooo right. Over the past two weeks I have done 4 butts – two at 250 and two at 200. The difference is astounding. To be honest, I cheat, I use a temperature controller to maintain heat - a 24 hour cook without benefit of electronics would be harsh. Hands down, the way-low and way-slow method is superior in taste and moisture to that of the 250 degree renditions. They are good, but 200 is better.[p]I quit, I will not personally sacrifice time for quality anymore. Obviously this does not mean that I will not eat any of your 16 hour bbq (it may be better than my too low and too low stuff), it only means that the original Professor Ward post about temperatures and time are revered in our house.[p]I’d love to spark discussion on this topic – I love moist, flavorful PP and sacrificing taste for convenience doesn’t make sense to me. If one of those ceramic Q winners does it in sub 20 time, please share what you know without giving away the farm.[p]Thanks,
Pivotizer

Comments

• jwitheld
    Options
    pivotizer,
    my pulled takes 20 hrs min ususlly 24, cant argue the end result.

• maddaug
    Options
    pivotizer,
    One average how large are these butts you are cooking? We are cooking a biggie tonight and trying to decide when to throw it on. Ours need to be done no later than 3pm Sat. Any help appreiciated. Most of ours have been smallish ones. These 2 are 8lb'ers.

• Fairalbion
    Options
    pivotizer, is tyour 200° pit temperature measured at the dome level or at the meat level?

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    jwitheld,
    i am pretty much also at 22-24 hours.[p]I have sometimes gone at 220, never 250. most often start at 200 and if it creeps toward 220 i'm ok with it.[p]since i am aiming for 195-200 internal, i figure it'll never get there at just 200 dome. but the vast majority of the cook is nearer to 200 degrees, slipping up to 220 toward the end just to put me at my target internal.[p]when i bought the egg, it was to replace a gasser which i had tried to do low and slo ribs with. i decided that if this thing really could hold temps rock solid for 24 hours over natural lump, that was a sclose as this skinny Yankee was going to get to doing his own true barbecue. so i resolved that i wasn't going to buy the egg for lo-and-slo cooks, and then undo the whole beauty of the thing by trying to speed things up.[p]a microwave will take pork butt to 200 internal faster than almost anything, but i wouldn't want to eat it.[p]short of an offset smoker, or a brick pit, this is as close as i can get to doing true Q in my back yard. i convinced myself (maybe erroneously) that the 200-210 range is more like the temps of an old pit, so why try to 'improve' on a method that's a coupla hundred years old?[p]lastly, i will concede that for a workaday guy, there IS a bit of an ego boost when you tell someone, "yeah, did some pulled pork the other night... went 24 hours over hickory and oak... not bad, either" and you get to watch the look on their face. [p]the egg is so rock solid, there really is NO NEED for me to check the temps as often as i do, it's just the anticipation that keeps drawing me to the egg. so waht's an extra few hours?

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pivotizer, i agree that 200 to 210 is the temp to cook a pulled pork but have been warned that the internal temp would be to low for a big piece of pork for to long a period of time. (below 140 for more than 4 hours). my thought has been to cook the butt at 250 for 2 or 3 hours and then lower the temp to 200/210. i like the long cook and dont like to rush things.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • maddaug,
    I guess it is kind of like giving stock picking advice, I'm really not qualified. That said, most of the butts I do are 6-8 pounders and take my egg 22-24 hours (a large). Based on those numbers, I'd say start at 3, getting done early is much less of an issue than the alternative. Getting done early also gives you the chance to use the egg to grill a side dish.

• Fairalbion,
    Meat, I stick the thermocouple in until I feel it touch the meat and then pull it back 1-1.5 inches.

• stike,
    You're right, in retrospect, 250 was kind of dumb. I kept inching the temperature higher because there seemed to be the popular opinion that 20 hours was excessive and 16-18 hours was more reasonable. I now heartily disagree with the 16-18 hour gig, at least on my egg.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    pivotizer,
    When your temp at meat level is 200 degrees, what is you themometer reading in the dome?

• SteveO,
    I can’t tell because I have the thermocouple placed where the dial thermometer would usually be. I am going to drill a back hole for the TC, it is a little ungainly sticking out of the front of the egg. Then I will be able to accurately measure the delta. Till then, I have no idea.
    sorry

• Mike in MN
    Options
    pivotizer,
    Sounds like good advice. I'd go with this vote. It's a lot easier to let them sit in a cooler, rather than hurry them in the end....way less stress for the chef, too![p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    pivotizer,
    I always cook em at 225. They take 22 + hours, but I start them real slow. Once I get the fire started, (dome maybe 150) I throw on the lightly soaked smoking wood and the meat. The temp takes quite a while to get to 225 (maybe 1/2 hour+) but it sure does smoke! The initial internal temp isn't an issue, because they are ice cold out of the refrigerator. [p]I have found the size of the butt isn't that big of a factor, the smaller ones take almost as long as the larger ones. I do more of the 3-5# Boston Blades.[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN
    Options
    stike,
    Touche'[p]I fully agree with your post. This is as good as we can get here....It's a great piece of equipment, and it has opened up a whole new world of cooking for some of us.[p]That sight of a butt after 20 some hours on the grill certainly blows away anyone who witnesses the event. My friends can't believe it, but they sure do smile when the eat it.[p]My favorite cook. [p]Mike in MN

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    pivotizer, I think the discussion about what temperature is focused around two points. One, 250 is a MUCH easier temperature to maintain than 200 to 220. Of course, these new electronic wizards make that job much more doable. Two, cooking at 200-220 dome means that your initial grill level temperature is 190 to 210. Cooking at this low a temperature means that you rare running a risk of leaving your meat for more than 4 hours at less than 140. This does NOT mean the meat is going to go bad but it does increase the chances. I would be interested in someone logging some meat temperatures when cooking that low to see exactly how long the meat is below 140. We might be surprised to find it's not as long as we think. Whatever, if it tastes better, I'd probably keep doing it.

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    stike,
    Ditto from me re: your comments. Just one more adder: When you're out there "needlessly" checking on things, be sure to lean over Miss Daisey and take a good whiff. That is one of the most sensational aromas I have ever experienced!