Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks for Costco.... SHAME on Publix!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks to all the forum members that mention Costco!

Denise, my better half signed up yesterday. MUCH better than Sams. She said the meat looked better the "The Butcher Block", our local "gourmet" meat market, and better than Publix... and she was right. MUCH more variety than Sams... Prices INFINTELY better than Publix or Kroger. Since we got a second fridge (picked up from the curb when our neighborhood had a forclosure... $1300 new!) we can now buy in bulk. YEA!!!

A WARNING ABOUT Publix... My daughter came home from recently shopping there... her dozen eggs had an expiration date OVER 30 DAYS! and the Barbeque sauce she picked up had an expiration date from LAST YEAR!

Apparently these guys are too lazy or don't care about stock rotation (i.e. move the back to the front, and restock the back).

Once again... GRACIAS!

Comments

• FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Sounds like a store manager has gotten lazy. I've never seen an expired date in any Publix, ever.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Me either. I shop regularly at Publix.
  • Crimsongator
    Did she take them back.

You saying shame on Publix is like somebody saying shame on my egg dealer. Depends on the location!

There are some major chains I prefer to not go in. Publix is definitely NOT one of them. We typically go out of our way to shop there.
  • When Publix are newer and well-run, they are great.

What are some of the better meats cuts / prices / etc you are seeing at Costco vs Sam's?

I will be at the "Sams or Costco" crossroads this Fall when my Sams membership is up (just moved to Atlanta from the burbs). We went to a Costco recently and in general they were very similar. Did not check the meat case other than making sure they had baby backs.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    I check the expiration dates on items I buy..if it was that far outdated I would take it to the manager and complain.....before putting it in my cart...don't have a Publix here so I can't say with total experience..but I certainly do take the extra second to read the dates..even if I gotta reach to the back of the rack to get something fresh...
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I think the beef at Costco is better than Sam's but the pork butts are better at Sam's. Costco's butts are boneless which makes them not good for pulled pork. If I'm making sausage I buy Costco butts, for pulled pork I get Sam's. -RP
  • VERY meaty baby backs. Denise said the T-bones looked much better than our gourmet meat market or Publix.. ditto the Pork tenderloins. Personally, I liked those whole beef tenderloins ;-)

We use to have a Sams Club member ship... but I'm glad we signed up at Costco... there's a one day pass available for you to check for yourself.

The other thing I noticed about Costco vs. Sams is Costco had A LOT of organic products... which we never saw at Sams.

Publix prices have gotten totally out of hand (they were our usual destination, and I personally have done a good bit of the shopping)... and if you go after anything organic they really stick it to you on... the produce is often less than stellar.

Costco, like any club, doesn't always have all the selection... but we found MOST of the staples (and some stuff I've never seen at Publix, for instance Quinoa)... and with an extra fridge there is plenty of space to store it.

Of course I know it may vary store-to-store... but the Publix here in Towne Lake gets a C- (and I'm being generous).

IMHO.
  • My daughter is a third grade teacher putting in lots of extra hours getting ready for school... and yes, she should have checked the expiration date, I'm sure she was just trying to get the shopping done in a hurry... that stilll doesn't excuse the guys stocking the shelves. I've done THAT job, and it just doesn't take that long to bring everything from the back up to the front. It's all about laziness.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    I do pp with bone-in butts without any problems. The usual wisdom is that the bone adds more flavor when cooking almost any meat portion.
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Slim chance, but one of our stores will give you the equal item free if you find one on the shelf expired. Check the stores policy. Literally check out with one of each and the good one is free.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX
  • AZRP
    To me boned means bonless, I changed my post. -RP
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    How do you think the boneless would work for BBB? :huh:
  • AZRP
    Buckboard bacon is made with boneless butts. -RP
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Trust me..I am not trying to justify what they have on the shelf...and they dam sure ARE accountable....show it to em and ****...better yet report them to the appropriate authorities... a year old...there is just no excuse for that...
  • Hoss
    Yeah I misread.That was my point.If I could find bonless butts for the same price as bone in,I would give em a try on BBB.I'm still always use bone in for PP. ;)
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Next time you do PP save the bone for reference. Get a boning knife,a bone in butt and just follow the outline of the bone, it takes a little practice but it's not hard to do once you know the shape of the bone.

Just keep the knife lightly against the bone as you do it.

Just a thought,
    Bordello
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    If your Publix gets a "C", what would your Winn Dixie get?

In general, Publix is the best grocery store in Florida. There will always be screw ups.

Yep, shame on the stock boy who is 14 years old, and doesn't really care about the expiration date.
  • Hoss
    I have done a few and you are right.They are not that much trouble,however if I can get em without the bone for the same or close price,I'll let them do it. ;):whistle:
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    I sure can't blame ya for that and I would do the same. Some think it's a big thing to do, hopefully other's will try it.

Regards,
    Bordello
  • no Winn-Dixie near us.... it's either Publix, Walmart, or Kroger.
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    you do have a Sam's in Oakwood. Costco by far is still my favorite. You just have to go when you are to and from up Gwinnett area. The Publix in Flowery Branch is the best run in the area.
    Welcome to Hall Co
    DMo
  • Crimsongator
    Did she take the stuff back and let the store know about it?
  • She told me about it yesterday.. we'll call them Monday.
  • We're in Woodstock... so Gwinnett is a non-starter.... the fuel costs and time would be just too much of a hit.
  • I think maybe DMo recognized Balus Creek as being Oakwood/Gainesville area (that and double checking thread view). That new Sams off I-985 exit 16 with fuel is why I joined Sam's. The Publix in Flowery Branch off exit 12 by the new Target is indeed a fantastic store. The other two I go to (exit 16 and Hwy 53/McEver) are also good. Too bad I am moving back to the big city, will miss the small town quality of life. And Loretta's.... and Curt's... and Longstreet... never mind not wanting to divert the thread any more!!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    when i was about 15, i started working at a local grocery store. one day they had me fill in at the dairy department, and the manager (probably a 22 year old kid now that i think of it), brought a rack with a bunch of cartons of eggs on it back into the loading dock area. they were all old, out of date, or ones where an egg or two were broke and had gotten the others yolked and dirty. he also had a milk crate filled with BRAND NEW egg cartons, and had me transfer the egg that were not cracked from the old cartons and broken ones, into the newly dated cartons. i couldn't believe it. i guess i worked it for a half an hour and finally asked if this was ok to be doing and he shrugged it off like they did it all the time.

my mother never bought eggs there again.

was a family-owned store too, and the mom-n-pop that started it lost it all when their kids took over. wonder why.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Publix prices have gotten totally out of hand (they were our usual destination, and I personally have done a good bit of the shopping)... and if you go after anything organic they really stick it to you on... the produce is often less than stellar.

I'll definitely agree with this, I like Publix in general, but their prices have gotten to be outrageous, particularly on meat and fish. I try to shop at Ingles, though I'm not a huge fan of their meat. Typically, Ingles is $15.00-$20.00 cheaper on a $100.00 grocery bill than Publix. Kroger is even noticeably less expensive than Publix.

I also like Sam's here in Athens, GA for meat. They have good quality at fair prices.