Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Accident follow-up

Misippi Egger
Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going for follow-up Xrays this morning. It has been 2 weeks since the bike accident and although I am only taking long-acting ibuprofen-type meds, I continue to have constant aches in both arms. Most motions to do things involve pain in either a wrist, a forearm or the elbow. Not severe pain or long-lasting pain, but constantly nagging. What a bummer!

Anyway, I am going to work after the Xrays to see if I can perform the necessary manual tasks I must do without any compromise of safety for my patients. I will go into one of my partners' cases and try to do things with him present. If things work out OK, I might even do a case or two this afternoon, if they need the help (Fridays are usually light days).

I've talked to our scheduler for me to start back Monday at the big hospital (lots of help around, if I need it) with a light load.

I need to get back to work cause we are on a non-salaried, eat-what-you-kill system and I have been off half this month already.

Gotta make what I can before Obama cuts my income and taxes me into the po house! :)

Comments

• Good Clark, hope it all goes well.

From another 601 hand!
  • morning clark..
    hope all goes well and you are back at it real soon,, most folks don't understand that it is physical labor.. one of my professors put it best... " your a working man not an executive if you are not belly up to the chair you ain't making any money" sucks working when it hurts..
    good luck
    bill
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    I wish you much luck Clark!!!! :)
  • DHall
    DHall Posts: 180
    Good luck Clark.
  • This is an example of a situation where your own disability insurance policy might be worth having.

When I shopped for mine, the price was dependent upon the period I would go before getting benefits. I settled on 90 days, and then had to maintain at least that much savings in reserve. They had policies that had 30 day and 60 day waiting periods.

Other things that increase cost are cost-of-living adjustments and continuing past the beginning of social security. Both of these are optional.

Shop around, prices and options vary.

I do remember that the agent read off a list of very fun activities and said, "Do you do any of these?" He hit all the fun ones. We discussed it a bit and finally he said "Well, have you done them in the last two years?" In spite of doing a few of them I did get a policy.
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Couldn't agree more. I have disability from my group, but more importantly I have my own personal policy. Paid for w/ after tax money so benefits are tax free. It is occupational specific, so if I'm hurt and can't work (my job), it pays. Probably more important than life insurance. If I'm flat on my back in Sheperd Spinal Center for the rest of my life, what good is life insurance? I'm worth more dead than alive.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Hope this clears up soon and you can get back to pain free work.

My best, Kent
  • doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Best of luck, Clark!

I'm off this weekend, so I blew out early and stopped off at MF&P, where I picked up a bag of lump and some DP RedEye in your honor. Looking forward to doing the demo cook with you when you are 100%.

Chris
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Hope you get well soon. I'm also in health care and I'm nervous.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    Oh Clark I so feel for you - I had a spiral fracture of my Humerus - just above my elbow on Election Day (going into the polls in fact) and I still have pain - sometimes burning sometimes kind of stabbing (the only way I can explain) along with nerve pain --

Broken bones suck for sure - and both wrists I can't even imagine... best of luck with working
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    I so hope it has turned out well. I can sympathize...the husband and I are both healthcare workers. While secure for now-who knows? Good luck and keep us posted....
  • Misippi Egger
    Good reminder to everyone, Froggy.

I actually have had considerable personal disability insurance for over 20 years (that's a lot of premium money!). 90 day waiting period, but we have a 2 1/2 - 3 month. lagging A/R, so if I can get back to work soon, I shouldn't have much damage to my cash flow.

I can't say enough, though about the security of having this coverage. Disability is the most likely risk for young income earners and definitely needs protection.
  • Misippi Egger
    Have a good weekend, Chris. Sounds like some good cooking is coming up.

I have done a couple of cooks on my small since the injury, but the dome on the large is still too heavy to lift with my injuries.

I hope I will be up to a demo cook in a few weeks.

Going to work Monday - light duty.
  • Misippi Egger
    Thanks for the encouragement!

XRays showed the elbows healing well. The little finger is healing, a bit angulated, but in light of the severity of the multiple fractures of that finger, the doc is pleased with the results so far. I had them Xray my wrists and we discovered a reason for the pain there. Both wrists have extremely tiny bone fragments torn off the bone when I got a severe sprain of one of the ligaments (one the little finger side by the bony prominence there). Nothing to do for it (no splint, etc.), but it's nice to have a definite reason for the pain I was having there!

I spent about 3 hours in physical (occupational) therapy learning how to work my fingers, getting something called Havimat (electrical stimulation developed in Germany than reduced inflammation and swelling in my arms - kinda cool).

My brother's nurse came in a recruited me to go do 3 of their afternoon cases that my partners weren't able to get to, so i was able to get a little work under my belt. :woohoo: :woohoo: Easy, hand cases involving mostly IV sedation and a block of the lower arm. Hey, getting out and doing something was the BEST therapy for me as I was starting to really get down about things.

They have me scheduled for light work Monday, so you guys will not have to hear me moan about being out of work any longer. ;):whistle: :( :woohoo:

Again, thanks to this great family for the continued encouragement and support!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Hi Clark......I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back to full time in a reasonable time period. I had a shoulder and elbow injury for which I went to PT for 4 months. I thought I was going to have to just live with chronic pain. I could barely operate my computer mouse without agony (which is not good if you are a rad onc). I almost gave up on the PT. Then one day I noticed the pain was gone! I suppose it took that "tincture of time" we so often tell our patients. Good luck.
  • FSUScotsman
    I've wanted to ask this since you got hurt....how the heck are you typing? I am glad that you are feeling better though, your posts are some of the best.
  • Misippi Egger
    I was a "hunt and peck" before the injury , it's just a lot slower now with me having to go back and re-read/correct mistakes before I hit "Submit". :laugh:

We all know bad things seem to happen in threes. I guess even good things do also.

1) Got a nice quarterly bonus - helps pay down the debt before ObamaCare hits
    2) Got surprise settlement offer from the Ex - (bet she's getting married). Maybe the end of the alimony is in site - after 13 years. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    3) The daughter, s-i-l and grandson have decided to move back here form Louisiana !

Not a bad week !!!
  • FSUScotsman
    Sounds like you did pretty good!!! I have a clue we might stop Obamacare. :evil:
  • Misippi Egger
    Got my fingers and toes crossed.

Damn AMA signed on, but there is a newer organization many of us have joined (called Sermo) which has been asked to speak to Congress as a representative of a large number of us physicians who feel the AMA does not represent our best interests.
  • FSUScotsman
    Yep, I'm no doc, but the AMA is just like trial lawyers: leeches.
  • rho1640
    wow with finding out that things are healing and why your wrists were hurting and PT and all -- then add in the 3 things you posted - it has been a good week :D
  • rho1640
    duplicate post sorry - I keep forgetting and hitting the back button ... someday I will get the hang of this thing
  • Misippi Egger
    Good point ! Thanks !