Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flat Iron Goodness...MY FIRST

Options
DrZaius
DrZaius Posts: 1,481
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Egg'd my first set of Flat Iron Steaks. Man they were delicious...

The Irons were marinated in Moore's and then rub with Szeged Steak rub...
DSC05089.jpg

DSC05090.jpg

Apparently it was fry every veggie in the house nite...

:P :P
DSC05093.jpg

The Egg is almost ready...
DSC05094.jpg

Steak On...

DSC05096.jpg

Steak Off...
DSC05097.jpg

It was absolutely delicious and maybe a replacement for our beloved London Broil...

DSC05099.jpg
DSC05100.jpg
This is the greatest signature EVAR!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    They look terrific. I saw those last weekend and almost bought some to try. I will now!
    Thanks for the pics.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Dr Z.

They look perfect! Around here I have only seen flat irons frozen.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Looks perfect to me. Nice grillmarks from that CI grid too!
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    Looks great! What was the temp and time?
  • DrZaius
    Options
    450 to 500 for about 6 minutes a side.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    How would you rate the tenderness of the Flat Iron? The cook looks very tasty!
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Doug,

Kroger over by us has these on sale quite often for $3.99 a lb...I buy 8-10 when that happens... :woohoo:
  • DrZaius
    Options
    vidalia1 wrote:
    Doug,

Kroger over by us has these on sale quite often for $3.99 a lb...I buy 8-10 when that happens... :woohoo:

I did the same neighbor.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    NoVA Bill wrote:
    How would you rate the tenderness of the Flat Iron? The cook looks very tasty!

I would rate them more tender than London Broil. I liked it very much.
  • DrZaius
    Options
    TomM24 wrote:
    Dr Z.

They look perfect! Around here I have only seen flat irons frozen.

Yep, RD had them and I checked the frozen ones out and could not tell quality so I passed for the time being. I think Richard FL has bought the frozen ones and he loves them.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bill,

when cut on the bias like that, they are pretty tender, much more so than a london broil. ..about the same as a flank steak, though not as stringy. . .different texture....

harris teeters around northern VA have been having them on sale a lot lately it seems.. . i've bought them quite a few times and prepped them a bunch of different ways, from simply dusting them up with dizzy cowlick or RTS, to marinating them with oil/balsamic vinager with a good shot of JD (this is really good!!) ....then just a fast hot direct grill at around 500 direct for 3 - 5 minutes per side is all it takes. ...

btw. . .i made a great sandwich with leftover flatiron recently. ..had a really good baguette, thin sliced flatiron, fresh avacado, and alfinois cheese (this is similar to brie but its a goat milk cheese that is very creamy). .. .one of the best sandwiches i've ever had, it was great!!. . ..
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    That's some pretty input from y'all - Thanks.

Now I'm on the look out for Flat Iron, especially at $3.99/lbs, and Hanger .
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    bill,

flat irons are being sold pretty regularly at both safeway and harris teeter in northern VA (and probably elsewhere). .although probably not at 3.99 per pound. .. .

for the hangers, you'll probably need to come in closer to the big city, LOL. ...i've seen them at the big whole foods in fair lakes (off of I66) . ..and you should make a saturday or sunday morning field trip into the old eastern market in downtown washington DC ....bring some bucks, buy yourself a whole packer brisket and some hangers . .. they are cryovacked so they store nice in your freezer.. ..buy 2 or 3 or 4 ...
  • NoVA Bill
    Options
    Max,

Great advice, thanks.

Looking for meat around Loudoun County is fruitless or is that meatless B) Guess I'll have to break down and travel east, really don't like getting east of Rt 28 just too much civilization :ohmy: , albeit, a new Harris Teeter is going in just south of the Outlet Mall in Leesburg.

I know where the Whole Foods is you referenced as my daughter lives in Fair Oaks.

I do like the idea of making it to the Old Eastern Market in the District, my daughter would love to do that with me and I've been searching for a whole packer.

Thanks again appreciate your local knowledge.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm visiting my brother in Munising Michigan and tried my first flat iron steak....GREAT!!!!! When I get back to Okeechobee, Florida, will try and have Publix order them for me.

Okeejohn