Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Striped Bass with Old Bay Butter

Options
TomM24
TomM24 Posts: 1,366
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went striper fishing on thursday five of us on a private charter we caught our limit of two fish each over 28 inches. They all were between 29 and 34 inches none less than 29. We caught three more over 29 and tagged and released them. Very strange in that we didn't catch a single blue fish, just as well they are not worth eating. So here is half of one filet egged direct at 400 with Old Bay Butter. It is great that this fishery has returned. It is a very tasty fish.
IMG_0628.jpg

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Looks like a great meal Tom. Nice job.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    what boat did you charter? I own a raritan bay charter boat. I'm surprised people are still picking bass, as mostly the water is too hot and they are long gone (unless you worm/eel for them at night)

personally i find anythign bigger than 30" or so to taste exactly liek bluefish - as they should really, eating the same foods.

nice work, how did you cook it?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Nice fishing trip. I have never had the Old Bay Butter, need to try and find it.

Mike
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    umm that's good fish. Eggscriber cayght some earlier in the year and we made it several ways, they were all good.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Mike...Totally guessing here, but I would imagine this was a compound butter he made with old bay? Just an idea.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hi Tom...Good looking cook, and nice trip! Can't say I agree with you on blue fish however. :blink: Grilled direct, I think they are mighty great eating! :laugh: Nice job!
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    Old Bay butter--did you make that with Old Bay and butter? Plate looks yummy, btw....
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Not only are stripers a gorgeous fish, they are also very tasty. Nice plate!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    nice looking dinner, i love fresh striper. now if thats half a fillet off a 29 inch striper all i can say is your as bad as i am with a fillet knife :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    When I worked out of Old Saybrook, CT there was a diner (long since gone) that would smoke Blue Fish and it was delicious - it's the only place I ever ate Blue Fish.

Your Striper looks reall good. Next to Walleye and Perch I like Striper best - all three are great eatin' fish.