Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almonds on the grill - procedure and setup

Options
Boccie
Boccie Posts: 186
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of giving this a go. I would like to smoke them. If anyone can give me setup, temps and times I would appreciate the input.[p]I will start off doing a small amount, say 1 pound - then move to larger batches if I get them good :-)[p]Thanks,
Boccie

Comments

• Boccie,[p]I have this recipe I want to convert to using the egg, just sub your almonds for the pecans, I think the smoke from the egg would make 'em shaweeeeet[p]Spicy Sweet Pecans

2 tbsp peanut oil
    1 tsp sesame oil
    3 cups pecan halves
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp coarse kosher salt
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • Heat the oils in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the pecans and toss to coat. Sprinkle the 1/3 cup sugar over the pecans and toss again. Saute until the sugar melts (about 3 minutes) but to not burn the nuts.
    • In a large bowl toss together the 2 tbsp sugar, salt and peppers. Do not use a plastic bag, as it will melt.
    • Pour the heated nuts into the bowl and toss to coat. Spread nuts on a piece of parchment or wax paper to cool. Store in an airtight container.

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    Boccie, Googleized 'smoked almonds' and found this...hope it helps. Let us know how it turns out.[p]
    SB
    SMOKED ALMONDS[p]From the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ Guru[p]2 cups almonds
    2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
    Fine salt[p]Melt the butter and coat the almonds.[p]Get the smoker to 300-325 degrees F. You want to use a very mild wood, I use apple, but any of the fruit woods would work. Once your wood starts to smoke, place the almonds on a piece of foil in a SINGLE layer and place inside the smoker. Smoke for about 20-30 minutes, turning them several times to assure even smoking. After removing from smoker, add salt to taste.

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    Smokey Bob,
    Are these "raw" almonds, meaning where do you get them? Are they already cooked in any way, or what? any info will be good. Thanks
    Seth

• Smokey Bob
    Options
    seth,
    I would guess they are raw. I just found the recipe, I have never used it. I use a lot of nuts at Christmas time and get them at: www.thenutfactory.com[p]SB

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I will do a test run soon and see how it goes. I guess I'll do them on a pan on the lower grid without any other barrier (like bricks etc). I am not sure which way would be best, maybe a raised grid would be better to prevent any burning of the nuts. Keeping them stirred is a must, that much I know.[p]Wonder if soaking them in a seasoning solution would do much for them, I am thinking something with a kick :-)[p]For the record these are raw nuts. Already rosted nuts are well... already roasted LOL[p]We'll see how it goes.