Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gator tail?

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good Morning All

Wanna try and do some Gator Tail on the EGG today for the 4th. First we have never made this and second wanted to try it on the EGG. Has anyone ever done tail and on the EGG. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

TIA

bw

Comments

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I just copied this from the 08 Florida eggfest cooks.
    This was good.
    Jupiter Jim
    Grilled Gator Tail
    by Dan C. Backhaus (Que Man)
    Ingredients :
    1 to 2 pounds of Gator Tail
    1 bottle Paul Newman’s Olive Oil and Vinegar Salad Dressing
    Barnwood Bar-B-Que Seasoning
    Barnwood Bar-B-Que Sauce
    Preparation :
    Tenderize gator tail meat by pounding out with a meat tenderizer into thin slices no
    more than 1/2 inch thick. You can run it through a cuber if you have access to one.
    Gator meat has almost no fat and can be a little tough if not tenderized.
    Place gator meat in a zip-lock bag and marinate in Paul Newman’s Olive Oil and
    Vinegar. After a minimum of three hours remove meat from marinade
    Lay meat out on a sheet pan, pat dry with paper towels. and sprinkle both sides
    with Barnwood Bar-B-Que Seasoning. Let set for a few minutes.
    Grill with lid closed on porcelain grill without plate setter at about 400 degrees F. on
    your BGE very lightly browning both sides.
    For added flavor throw a chunk of oak, pecan or apple wood into your coals to
    lightly smoke.
    As mentioned earlier, gator meat has almost no fat. Don’t over cook! Just before it
    is done brush with Barnwood Bar-B-Que Sauce.
    You’re about to eat some good stuff. Enjoy something a little different than the
    normal beef, chicken or pork.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I know Jim is the resident aligator hunter and probly has some pretty good gator recipes. I had some blackened gator tail in New Orleans and I have cooked it that way ever since. I just season with Chef Pauls Blackened season and Blacken in a C/I Skillet in the Egg. It is some kinda fine. :laugh: