Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ joints near Houston?

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My friend flew back from NC back to Chicago and is now headed to Houston. I wanted me to find him some good BBQ spots down there. Anyone have any favorites?
thanks
tim

Comments

• skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    Any particular side of town?

Papas BBQ is probably the best and most famous BBQ chain and has several locations throughout Houston. Although the Papas family has branched into many restaurant types, BBQ was their original food.

If you are on the south side of Houston, Joe's BBQ in Alvin (on Hwy 6 near the loop) is very good and here in League City I like Red River (on Main Street east of Hwy 3 and just before you get to the high school). Red River's potato salad is the best I've had. However, it is different. So, if you like traditional potato salad you might not like theirs.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Although I like most of their other concepts..their BBQ Joints are Crap!

Sorry!!

They doesn't even approach Goode Company BBQ... Thelmas...Demeris,
    Drexlers or even Rudy's for that matter!

JMO!!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    If he can spare a 5 hour round trip, he should go to Lockhart.

Goode is great BBQ. Pappas is OK. I spend most of my time getting Tex/Mex in Houston. That food is off the wall!

Off the Texas Monthly 2008 list:

Goode
    Pappas
    Virgies BBQ
    Thelma's
    Burns BBQ

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=112833324541358499430.00044dfa8d6d58f8dad68&z=6
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    A lot depends on where you will be in the Houston area. We're pretty spread out and more than 100 miles across in some places.

Some good ones have already been named but I wouldn't consider any of them them 'fantastic.' More like good to really good. A few years ago I would have considered them all in the "great" or higher range. But then I got my Egg.

Also, many have only one type of dish that is above average. So if you have a hanker'n for ribs and their very best Q is smoked turkey you might be greatly disappointed if you get the ribs.

Some have great sauce but some use their sauce to cover up the lack of meat flavor. Frankly, I just don't eat at BBQ places that much any more.

Depending on when you will be in town you could always stop by the Chicken Ranch and we could rustle up something.

Spring "Now I Want Some BBQ For Breakfast" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    just north of the airport, there is this cozy little spot that serves some great bbq, and even better hospitality!!. ..the owner can be a littel cantanqerous at times, but his wife is cute as a button and she usually manages to keep him under control. .. .the price is right though, and you can usually get out of there for next to nothing, particularly if you are willing to help with the dishes after you eat. . . .heck, on a hot day you can even take a dip in the hot tub (if the chimp will make room for you) and they even provide limo service back to the airport!!!. ..now how many bbq joints offer that kind of service!! (along with a hug and and kiss on the cheek!!!!)

i just doesn't get any better than that!!!
  • Peter Creasey
    Options
    TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    My friend flew back from NC back to Chicago and is now headed to Houston. I wanted me to find him some good BBQ spots down there. Anyone have any favorites?
    thanks

Tim, Goode Company is probably the best in metropolitan Houston.

If he is south of Houston, an even better choice is Leon's in Galveston. It is only a hole in the wall but the barbecue itself is the best around. Leon's is on Broadway, just east of 61st Street.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Awwwww... you're just saying that because we pay you handsomely to say things like that and direct customers our way LOL

By the way, the 'Girls' have been asking about you. Wondering if you're just a "One Shot Johnny."

Spring "Between The 'A' And The 'T' Is Where We're At" Chicken
  • Lake Conroe Egger
    Options
    On the north side it would have to be McKenzies in Conroe. Best ribs in the area.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Houston IS a barbeque joint! And a damn good one!