Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

help with big butt

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can someone in the know about pulled pork look at my game plan and let me know if this setup has a chance to come out right???
This is my firt attemt to do something like this for family
thanx
I am attempting to smoke a 12 lb shoulder for pulled pork (couldnt find a boston butt just a picnic shoulder I hope that it will work anyway.
I have it in the BGE as I write this
I have the dome stable at 225 and the grill is at 175
I have the fire box full to the rim (to the bottom of the fire ring)with 4 fist sized oak cunks
I have the Place setter in, legs up ,with a drip pan with a can of icehouse poured in it and set in the middle of the plate setter.
Then there is the grate and the the shoulder set in a v rack
The shoulder was slathered with mustard and then rubbed with the stuff that I made up to rub ribbs with,
Peperica, cumin, chili powder,granulated garlic, granulated onion, celery salt, cayenne, salt and brown sugar with a little oregino
I think that the shoulder shoud go for about 20 hours.
I have an elcheapo radio shack remote thermometer stuck in it (it has auto doneness settings so I set it up for turkey (180 deg the higest settin on it) but I plan to let it go to 210 deg f. [p]

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Glenn ,
    It sounds like you will do just fine. I've never used any liquid in my drip pan but that isn't anything to worry about. My guess is you'll be okay.
    Have a cold one and relax. Now if its anxiety you want read my post just below yours! Have a good one!

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Glenn ,[p]Raise yout grill temp to 200 or you will never get that rascal to the pulling stage. If you are going to use a place setter then you need a higher dome temp. Otherwise all else looks good other than you just wasted a really good can of brew :~)[p]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Glenn ,[p]I always shoot for 250° dome, as it's a bit easier to stabilize. Also, you want to get the meat up past the 140° within 4 hrs (there was an earlier thread discussing this).[p]QBabe
    :~)

• glenn
    Options
    Bob,Thanx I went out and opened the vents, Dome is now at 250 the grate hasnt come up much yet but I am sure it will

• Grumpa
    Options
    Glenn ,[p]I am most likely a little different than most around here. I cook mine at 250-275 and use only the drip pan as my indirect source of buffer. Works great for me and I have found no one that rave over the results.[p]Happy smoking. Have a great long weekend.

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Bob,
    We only use just a drip pan also. [p]~nikki

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    Glenn ,[p]I think you're on the right track so far. The prior suggestions concerning uping the temp are "words to the wise"! One thing....I would caution you about letting her go to 210 before pulling, I've done better with 190-195. Also take into account that it'll ride up another 5-10 after you pill and wrap for an hour!![p]Send me leftovers!![p]Good luck.....[p]Chubby
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • glenn
    Options
    Chubby,
    I took your advice and intended to pull the shoulder off the egg at 190 but I got distracted and it came off at 199
    it is in the foil now and I hope to pull at around 12:00
    everything looks pretty good, but I havent tasted it yet.
    But there is one strange thing ,when I went to bed the egg had been riding 250 dome for about 8 hours, when I got up to take it off, the egg was reading 300 dome, I would have thought the temps would go down as the lump supply dwindled, but instead it goes up. Guess you learn something everyday

• JK
    JK Posts: 93
    Options
    Glenn ,[p]I pull 'em out when they hit an internal temp of 200*. Usually use a dome temp of 230* or so and no liquid in the drip pan. You might try JJ's rub (BGE recipes). It works well with boston butts. Good luck!
  • Grumpa
    Options
    Glenn,[p]No harm done... It will be every bit as good.