Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough with Jeff Varasano’s Kneading Techniqu

Options
BobS
BobS Posts: 2,485
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am making some pies tonight and took a couple of pictures during the dough making process.

This technique involves the high moisture and rest, autolyse process, which activates the gluten in the flour. This is the same technique used in the no knead bread recipe.

You add all the liquid and 3/4 of the flour, and then let it rest for 20 minutes.

Here we are after the initial mix.

27-06-09Pizzadough1.jpg

After the 20 minute rest, I kneaded it for 5 minutes before adding the rest of the flour. The characteristics of the dough changes completely and it is almost cleaning the sides of the bowl.

27-06-09pizzadough2.jpg

I added the remaining flour (fourth cup -- actually last 160 grams out of 640 grams total) and kneaded for an additional 3 minutes.

This dough has 60% hydration and is still cleaning the sides and bottom of the bowl.

27-06-09Pizzadough3.jpg

It is resting in the refrigerator and I will take it out an hour or so before the cook, depending on how much it rises while resting.

More pictures later.

Comments