Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Need geometry program

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have a table for my eggcessories 60X30 and have several odd pieces of granite that I want to make a mosaic top for the table.

100_2234.jpg

Every time I look at it, I start moving some pieces around and they are heavy. some are rectangles and some need to be cut.

GRANITETOP.jpg

Does anyone have a link to a software program where I can give it sizes of the pieces and fit them until I am happy with the layout? TIA

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Richard,

This is a fantastic program and it's free. Google Sketchup.

It is real easy to make it hard to use. However, if you keep things simple, using the basic commands you will easily be able to do what you want.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Sketchup can be full 3D rendering and also can be simple 2D shapes.

If I remember you can accomplish what you want with 3 or 4 simple commands (mouse & keyboard).

It will dimension if you need and it will hold sizes of pieces which can be moved around.

The basic command learning curve won't take much time at all.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Richard,

Not trying to pop any of the suggestions given so far, but have you thought of either making some scale cutouts from paper (where 1/8" = 1" or something) or taking a razor knife and making full size pieces out of cardboard? You can do wonderful things with a $5 protractor and a straight edge.

For years I worked with an Engineer that was on the first lunar landing project. He used to say "we put a man on the moon with a #2 pencil and a slide rule".
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Ah come on, then you arn't using a computer. :laugh: :laugh: I hate it when it is easy.

I always said your the man!!! Finally someone I can ask. California film set or the moon???????? Capricorn One.

Kent
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07759a.jpg

I still break out the serious hardware from time to time....heheee.

Finally someone I can ask. California film set or the moon???????? Capricorn One.

No, the real moon. He was a staff engineer on several Apollo flights. Had the hat and everything.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Oh man, that picture made me laugh and exactly my mental picture of the "BBQ Guy's".

Kent
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Yes I have, however the various lengths and widths for the many pieces would require toooo much cutting. If I turn a piece 17 X 29 1/2 90 degrees it totally changes the other pieces. That is about the largest piece that does not need to be cut. Using it a a base and which orientation, determines the lengths and widths of the others. That is why I would like a computer based program. Yes I still have a few slide rules, but little over kill for this project. Wonder what they are worth on Ebay? Once designed a nuclear reactor with a slide rulerfor a semester project. Today probably would only have to enter the data and a hand held would do the rest.Thanks for the help folks.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I have seen some of the 6" slide rules go over $250 on ebay last year.

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    D##%& Better go to my storage unit and find them "gold mines".
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    C'mon Kent...The moon man. Jeez
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Don't ask him to pull out the family album. You might like and believe it!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I love it!My mom used to keep books for a 5 million dollar a year company with a #2 pencil an adding machine ans a legal pad.Averaged catching over 200K a year in overcharges!!!None of them EVER proved her wrong.Not only that but if you burn them the Government can't seize them like a hard drive!!! :evil: