Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Brats and Beer Repost

RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is a repost from a coupe of years ago. This will be dinner tonight, along with fried potatoes.

I guess that I am just missing an old freind.
RhumAndJerk

Posted by KennyG on July 03, 2000 at 15:04:13:

With all this talk about brats recently, I picked up a bunch to serve at my little weekend party. I was unaware of Char-Woody's "firecracker" brat post and found a recipe I had clipped from the local newspaper a year or so ago. Went something like this. Pierce the brats a couple of times with a fork as you would potatoes before baking them. Coarsely chop up a couple of large onions and sauté in oil. I used a large cast iron skillet. When the onions start to brown add a large can of sauerkraut, liquid and all, to the skillet and throw in the brats. Add enough beer (I used PBR of course) to provide a depth about half way up the sides of the brats. Do a splash or 2 or 3 of Tabasco sauce, more if you dare. The recipe stated that the desired effect was flavor and not heat. Slowly simmer for about 20-25 minutes, turning occasionally, and the brats will be fully cooked and will have plumped up nicely. Now grill them to char up the outside. Drain the onion/kraut mixture and use as toppings on the brat rolls. Serve with course ground mustard. Yum, yum

K~G
·

Comments

• vidalia1vidalia1 Posts: 7,091
    Indirect at 350????
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,348
    You got me droolin'!! 8 - ),,,
    ·
  • HitchHitch Posts: 402
    Holy smokes those sound good!!!

Thanks for posting.

Hard to beat brats, and these sound like a real winner!
    ·
  • YBYB Posts: 3,861
    Hey Mike we also miss Kenny.

Larry

6708.jpg
    ·
  • Beer brats are great and easy, good for tailgates. I like a dark beer for them. Amberbock has worked well, and now that I have been drinking Shiner more I'll probably give it a run soon.
    ·
  • RhumAndJerkRhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    direct 325-350, you are looking to crisp up and put a slight char on the outside. The Brats are pretty much cooked by the time they meet the BGE.

Hope this helps,
    R&J
    ·
  • I think we all miss KennyG, Brats sound good tonight.
    ·
  • WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
    I didn't have the pleasure of knowing Kenny but a lot of nice people have said great things about him. I'll add this along side his chili recipe.
    ·