Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 quick sunday afternoon questions

Options
Wisconsinegghead
Wisconsinegghead Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1. I have the oportunity to upgrade to the XL from the L. What are the benefits?

2. How hot do you usually grill your burgers?

Thanks!

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I wouldn't mind having an XL but I wouldn't trade one of my larges even up for one. That may come after a mini. I do burgers at 400 direct.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    Keep the large and get the XL. B)

Benefit is more surface area for more whole racks of ribs.

My burgers are done at around 350 to 400
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I agree with both Pat and JoJo, I have both an Xl and a Large and I would not give up one for the other I would keep both, there are many benifits. Just a few are:
    ability to do very large cooks
    cooking different items at different temps.
    Great for parties.
    large briskets and other large cuts are no problem.

The down side to just having a XL is when just cooking for the family the Xl is a bit over kill. TJV does have a lump reducing ring that I hear works great. Trust me keep both. :)
  • YYZash
    YYZash Posts: 44
    Options
    Another Wisonsin Egghead here.

The best burger you can make is on an onion slice. Search the forum and you should find the origonal recipe with pics.

Been a while so my memory maybe off,

Use 1/2" thick slice of onion topped with cheese, bacon, spice, and what ever trips your trigger.

Wrap a generously sized patty of ground beef over the top of the whole works so the edge of the patty just overlaps the underside of the onion, enough to hold it all together. Most of the underside of the onion slice should be exposed.

Cook on a raised grid around 350 dome temp until beef is cooked (don't flip). The onion will steam up through the enire works.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I do burgers at 400 direct also. Try to omly flip one time. Dont flip over and over, mash or push your burgers around. All this does is make you loose all the juices inside your patty. Good luck