Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying my first egg: Any tips??

Options
GatorDog
GatorDog Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm buying my first egg (XL) on Friday after months of research and waiting! (Steaks, chops and butts...here I come!) I would really appreciate any tips for a first timer. I've already downloaded Bill Wise's BGE Cookbook. Any tips or tricks to avoid rookie mistakes would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Make sure it is the newer model.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I assume you know the difference between the old model and the new model right?

Hang around here and you will have a good idea of what to cook come Friday. :laugh:
  • GatorDog
    Options
    Thanks for the fast repsonse! :woohoo: What is the difference?
  • GatorDog
    Options
    Actually, no I don't. What's the difference?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    This is not 100% accurate but it will get you there. The hinges and larger handles have been out for a year or so but the fire ring and Fire box are what we are refering to the new model. If you get a plate setter make sure that it is for the model Egg that you get they are different. Longer legs are the new one and the short legs(1 inch) are for the older model.
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/533.htm
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    The new egg has a fire ring that is notched out to accept the new plate setter that has longer legs, allowing for a taller drip pan. I believe the new style also has a shorter firebox to allow for the longer legged plate setter. Even if your dealer only has the old style, if he knows you wont settle for the old style I am sure he'll make it happen.
    Hey stike, we succeeded :woohoo:
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Thanks, Eddie. I am a bit computer-stupid. This will give GatorDog a better understanding of the differences with the XL's.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    I can tell you that after you have had your egg for a while you are going to want a second egg. I have a large egg that is plenty big enough but now I need a second egg. There are plenty of times that you will be cooking different cuts of meats that need to be cooked at different temperatures. For example ribs and steaks or butts and appetizers.

Anyway for the price of an XL you could probably buy a large and a small. Something to consider. Good luck.
  • Chuckatuck Creek Egger
    Options
    Here is my tip... don't get used to having just one egg. You will want another size. I started out with 1 and four months later had a second egg. Congratulations and good luck!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Now we have created a monster. :laugh: I hope that they have the new model in stock Friday. :huh:
  • GatorDog
    Options
    I'm calling in the morning to confirm. Thank you VERY much!
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    BUY FROM AN AUTHORIZED DEALER!!!
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Where do you live, Gator?
  • GatorDog
    Options
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    There are a few eggers in your area. Welcome to the group...Go Gators!
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I bought a Large and then 4 months later a Medium. Not trying to talk you out of the XL, but there are advantages to multiple Eggs. Of course, if you do a lot of big cooks then an XL and later a smaller Egg might make sense. Whatever you do you will love it.

I do have three other pieces of advice:

1. Read this forum and ask questions;

2. Read this forum and ask questions; and

3. Read this forum and ask questions.

Okay, corny but you get the point. There is a wealth of information here, and the experienced guys on here (not so much me) love helping newbies. No such thing as a dumb question.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • tarheelforever
    Options
    Negoiate,, prices are not firm. Buy as many accesories as you can afford at the discounted price. You will be glad you did later on.
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Options
    a few tips

1. don't stress about the gasket, it will get messed up
    2. don't worry about the small cracks you will see int he paint
    3. buy a placesetter and pizza stone asap
    4. learn to love the stoker or guru
    5. save up for the large you are going to get in about six months
    7. xl deserves a nest and a Lg deserves a big table.
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • Fire Walker
    Fire Walker Posts: 241
    Options
    You won't be sorry in buying the XL, the guys are right about the old style and the new. knowing this fact might give you a price break on the old style XL, which I feel is just as good as the upgrade, it might save you a few dollars toward your second Egg. The XL is a good first egg at 452 cu. inches of grill area you can't go wrong, The large at 255 cu. inches is 197 cu. inches smaller than the XL, the med at 177cu. inches is a mere 78 cu.inches smaller than the large which then leads us to the Small at 133cu. inches is only 44cu. inches smaller than the med. In conclusion the fact is, you get the most bang for your buck with the XL with the largest cu inche ratio of all the eggs. So if you buy a large and a med Egg they would still come in 20 cu. inches smaller than the XL alone. So ends the lesson. A second egg is great too.
    FireWalker
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    My tip would be to relax and don't over think the cooks. Enjoy cooking on the egg and don't stress over the small thinks.