Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Long Short Ribs

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I thought I'd try something new tonight. I have had great luck with Beef Back Ribs and thought I'd try short ribs instead. These were not cut into individual pieces so they look like the back ribs. However, they are part of the chuck cut and can be tougher and fattier than the back ribs.

I'm not at all happy with the way they came out. I think we'll take the leftovers and simmer them in a sauce at low temp to see if that will tenderize them a little.

I removed the membrane which was very thick and heavy. I cooked them at 250 for 3 hours then wrapped in foil for 1.5 hours on the grill and then back on the grill unwrapped for another hour.

They look a lot better than they tasted. I'm going to stick with the back ribs.

Here they are at the beginning
DSC06161.jpg

After 2 hours the meat is just pulling back from the bones
DSC06162.jpg

After 3 hours they are ready to be wrapped in foil with some broth
DSC06163.jpg

After 5 or so hours, they are 'done'
DSC06164.jpg
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Barry, ribs look great. By the way, did you have a Tornado warning yesterday?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Shiff
    Options
    No, just severe thunderstorms and flooding. The storm missed us except for a little rain.

I wish the ribs tasted as good as they looked.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    Options
    I've done quite a few uncut short ribs. I trim off a lot of the fat, then smoke them at 225-250 indirect for around 9 hours, sometimes more. They are tender and flavorful, the meat comes right off the bone. I serve them as I would a steak.

They can be hit or miss though. I've had a few racks that were so fatty it didn't matter how long I smoked them I ended up with a mouthfull of fat in every bite. Those I would foil and recook them by braising them for an hour in the oven to render out the fat.
  • Shiff
    Options
    Thanks for the info on the time your ribs took. I only cooked mine for a little over 5 hours which worked fine for the beef back ribs I did. I've done cut short ribs in about 5 hours and they were fine. I should have realized that the uncut ones would take a lot longer.

If I ever do try again, I'll lengthen the cook time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA