Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heavy smoke taste

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I like smoke taste is meats and fowl normally, but occasionally would like to tone it down a little.[p]I think chicken is particularly susceptible to taking on the smoke.[p]Has anyone ever tried just standard briquettes instead of lump for the purpose of lowering the smoke taste?[p]I will appreciate any comments.

Comments

• Mikey
    Mikey Posts: 56
    Options
    KL,
    I have never used anything but lump myself. I do think that certain brands of lump impart more flavor than others. I believe the dense woods like the brazillian lump is made from and "formed" charcoal (like that chinese lump at walmart) have less flavor. Be sure to check out The Naked Whiz's lump database at the link below.[p]hth,
    Mike[p]

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz Lump Database[/ul]
  • KL,
    I had the same isue at first... my wife does not like everything I cook to have a smokey taste... especially the chicken... I found thathe Cowboy brnad of lump basically imparts no smokey flavor (unless you want to with added chunks) to your food.... As MIkey suggests.... check oout the Wiz's page if he thorough descriptions of many brands of lump...[p]But Cowboy did the trick for me and I can find it just about any Hardware store in Maryland... don't know what the situation is in your neck o' the woods.[p]

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    Options
    KL,
    Whiz suggested trying the Kamado brand lump in an earlier post. He said it has almost no smoke taste at all when burned. Also try using "old" lump when cooking your wife's meals. That is, using lump that has already been partially burned once. It will eliminate a lot of the smokey taste you are mentioning.
    As far as briquettes goes, that's a personal choice. The Egg is designed for lump charcoal but folks have stated here on the forum that they have used briquettes in the past. Mac

• KL,
    I had the same problem at first. I found that if you bring the dome temp to 350 and let the temp stabilize for 30 minutes or so, and then throw on the chicken, you'll get rid of that smokey taste. [p]The worse thing you can do is throw the bird on immediately after starting the fire.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ThunderThud,
    I agree wholeheartedly. An established fire makes all the difference in the world. Even when you DO want smoke, you want a clean thin smoke from an established fire.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ