Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wontons

Options
Fajing
Fajing Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm making wontons as a side dish and I've been planning to steam them, but my pork butt is done (looks great, smells great) and it's relaxing and I've got the egg all fired up. . .

Any ideas for how to do them on the egg?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Think Florida Grilling Girl did a batch recently. I would do them in a cast iron pan or wok with little evoo or butter and have the temp around 300-350F. Sear them on the bottom and sides and then add little sake, water, soy, your choice and cover the pan for about 10-12 minutes to steam.

Here is a way I do them and someday will use pulled pork.

Appetizer, Gyoza, Oriental, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    9 1/2 Lbs. Pork, Medium Ground, Cooked
    1 Lb. Garlic Chives, Chopped, about 3 bunches
    28 Ozs/ Water Chestnuts, Chopped Medium
    6 Ozs. Ginger, Fresh Minced
    1/4-1/2 Cup Sherry, Dry
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    1 1/2 Cup Mushroom, Black, Dried, Soak and squezze dry
    7-8 Pkgs. Wonton Wrappers, Round or Square, apprx 40 to a package
    Eggs

Procedure:
    1 Mix all ingredients and get some friends and beer 'cause this takes some time to make.
    2 Mix the eggs in a bowl and brush on edges to seal. These may be steamed, Frozen uncooked or pan fried. "Pot Stickers" are placed in a lightly buttered med heat frying pan. Slightly brown bottoms and then place water to just cover bottom of pan and cover. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, steam about 10 minutes. These may also be deep fried, 350°F for about 2-3 min, little longer if not crispy..
    3 Serve with any sauce you like. Eat hot!!

Here is a sauce I like.

Sauce, Jautza, Gyoza, Oriental, Richard

INGREDIENTS:
    3 Tbs. Vinegar, Red
    3 Tbs. Soy
    1/2 Tbs. Chili Pepper Oil
    1/2 Tbs. Sesame Oil
    Dash Chili.
    Chopped Garlic Chives/Scallions on top

Recipe Type
    Appetizer, Sauce

Yield: 350 apprx

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Author: Richard Howe
  • Fajing
    Fajing Posts: 34
    Options
    Making them with pulled pork sounds interesting. My post was misleading. The wontons are a side dish. My daughter made a request, so I made them.

And yes it takes a lot of time.

But here's what I use:

1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
    1 lb Italian sausage
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    some fresh cilantro, chopped
    about 10 water chestnuts, chopped
    1 tblspn sesame oil
    and whatever else I feel like putting in at the time

Mix it all up. Lay out some wonton wrappers on a cutting board with some flour so the wrappers don't stick to the board. Brush each wrapper with egg white. Put about a tsp of the filling onto each wrapper and close them up at the top.

Then I usually steam them for a couple of minutes. I usually line the steamer with Romaine lettuce so the wontons don't stick to the steamer. Sometimes I use them in soup.

I am going to try your suggestion on the egg.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Next time you are making a batch of won tons, get one of these presses. Can be had for a few $$ and they make life so much easier and faster.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110386607170&ih=001&category=20685&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I have been freezing uncooked wontons for many years and the freezer life is about 6 months.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I made them in cast iron, as Richard said.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=642670&catid=1#

They turn out great on the egg.

Faith
    Tampa, FL
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini