Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side Dishes

Options
Hanker'n2Grill
Hanker'n2Grill Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have no end of ideas and suggestions from this wonderful forum about cooking meat. [p]Does anyone have good resources for side dishes to go with the meat. I am tiring of the same old salad, baked potatoe's, etc.[p]Thanks

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    Tomatoe and onion pies have been a hit at my house this summer.
    Larry[p]Tomatoes,bacon and cheese make up this yummy pie.
    1 9-inch deep dish frozen pie shell
    3 medium,ripe tomatoes,sliced
    6 strips bacon,fried and crumbled
    1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 cup mayonnaise
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ teaspoon pepper
    Bake frozen pie shell following package directions.Preheat egg to 350 degrees.Sprinkle tomato slices lightly with salt and place in a colander for one hour to drain.Place tomatoes in bottom of pie shell;top with crumbled bacon.Combine cheese,salt,pepper and mayonnaise;pour over tomatoes.Bake 35 to 40 minutes on a raised grid using a Ceramic Deep Baking Dish .

[ul][li]Onion Pie[/ul]
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    YB,[p]Wow:[p]Sounds great. I will definitely try those.[p]Thank you very much.
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    yb,[p]yes, the tomato pie is a must - another great side is the sesame asparagus - yb, do you have that recipe ??

See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • YB
    Options
    Mr. Toad,[p]No I don't but I should would like to have it...think JSLOT will pass it along? Check your email too![p]Larry
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mr. Toad,[p]I believe this is the recipe.[p]Spin
    [ul][li]Sesame Asparagus[/ul]
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    spin,[p]thanks for the recipe - alyce is at the food store now buying some asparagus - that and a small steak - i am going to sprinkle a bit of blue-cheese on the steak
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,[p]Thanks all for responses. I definitely need help with side dishes.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    YB,
    Your tomato pies are eggcellent! Here at the Appledog's we use Swiss cheese + basil in lieu of the cheddar. We remove the skins from the tomatoes, cut them in half & squeeze out the seeds and stuff. JCA

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    A summer favorite here are small potatoes:
    Take a pan that can go on the egg, like a cake pan or cast iron skillet, and cover the bottom with olive oil then then a good amount of Kosher salt. Then add a layer of basil or rosemary. Next add new potatoes, cut in half, cut side down. Cook on BGE about 400 degrees until browned. Sometimes I grate Parmesan or Pecorino on top before serving. If you have more people increase the amounts and use a bigger pan. JCA

• YB
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Thanks Julie...We will try one your way next time.
    Larry