Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PING WPB....Thanks...But.....

Options
Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in Forum Feedback
WPB...Thanks for your reply, however, the majority of the problems are posted by "guests"...Last night, this "guest" changed his name for every post. Is there any chance we can stop unregistered "guests" from posting?? They can look, but can't "post" until they are registered? Just my opinion, but I think it will eliminate the vast majority of our problems here.

Thank you again for all you do, and making this forum possible. ;)

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    There was a poll about 18 months ago about this very topic. The requirement for a user to be registered before posting was voted down.

Maybe we should revisit the issue.

The problem would be those legitimate users that either cannot register through no fault of their own, and those that are unable to log in from work or other locales.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's easy to spot a troll and not engage.

there are occasionally trolls (pretty rare, actually).

but i'd wager that allowing someone to post when not registered has allowed more folks to ask a question about the egg, and get advice, and ultimately buy one and join in.

just my two cents
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chef,

I've moved your post over to Forum Feedback so that WMK will see it.

Yes, it is a balance between being friendly and being careful... I think having to be registered to post may be the solution.

Either that or perhaps limit the number of posts a guest can make in a given period of time by adding a tracking cookie with a counter. If his browser is set up to not accept cookies, he can't post... period.

I'm sure WMK will have some ideas on this as well... after all, he's a self-proclamied genius! (just kidding, but he is pretty smart).
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    stike,

I agree. I am pretty sure a guy got slapped today and may not come back. Sort of a POST hoc ergo hoc thing :P
    Give folks the benefit of the doubt.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I can see a good point from both sides. I do agree with Stike that there are more legitimate visitors than there are Trolls. Trolls will eventually get tired and crawl back under the rock from which they came. my 2 cents
  • Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    One of the biggest reasons I bought an Egg was this forum and its' friendliness and openess. The forum has changed since the old days, (I joined in 1999 or 2000, despite what my profile says) from a few like minded folks - Char-Woody, Elder Ward, JJ (remember those guys) to the huge board it is now. We've gone through a format change, for the better, I believe and changed from a small niche group into a large presence.

I haven't been active much in recent years (I used to post as JET), due to changing situations and the changes on the board. It's less friendly, to be expected with so many new folks, and more of a picture gallery of sorts than an exchange of ideas like in the past. Maybe it is time to limit posting rights for visitors as much as I hate to see it, and perhaps some splitting of the forum into various topics would help us members as well. The one forum format has worked well for many years, but I think with the sheer number of new posts per day, some divison is warranted.
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    WPB - WMK

You know that it took months to resolve my login/registration process.

By restricting all visitors from posting, you may stop the trolls for a short time, but at the same time you will prevent (punish) all of the legitimate visitors looking for information from joining the community before they buy. This forum is probably one of the biggest reasons people buy the BGE product.

I think Trolls are the exception to the rule around here. In my opinion, making a blanket policy to manage exceptions is the wrong way to go.

Michael
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    IMHO I like to see everyone have to reg. to post, I think if people are interested in the egg they will reg. to post and ask questions. This is just my opinion and the way I would vote if there is a vote. There are so many good people here and hate to see them get caught up in some garbage. Have a great day.
  • Egmont Key
    Egmont Key Posts: 69
    Options
    I may be the person that got slapped yesterday morning, or maybe there are others. I registered before posting anything.
    I have not purchased a BGE as yet and have a bad taste from yesterdays experience. I was very enthused about the BGE until I was asked about being a troll, never happened before, now I'm not so sure.
    I did change my handle 3 times yesterday and am still not sure of the one I like, but will not change again until sure.
    In the questions I asked I did not attack anyone or anything. I was very respectful and courteous until gator bait posted my profile and asked if I was a troll.
    I don't think he had any reason to do that no matter what happened the night before.
    You can ban me or do what ever you like, but Ihave attacked no one.
    Thanks
    Ron Miley
    Plant City, Florida
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i don't think anyone associates you with any foolishness, FWIW. you may hvae had foolishness thrust upon you, hahaha, but that ain't your fault...
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Hi Ron, You are correct. You did nothing wrong and attacked no one. I can only speak for myself, but I can get very defensive about Eggheads and the BGE. From time to time, we all take things written on the forum differently than want was intended. I would also like to welcome you to the forum. There are many great Eggheads in the Tampa Bay area who would go out of their way to help you or meet you when it come to BGE.
    Give us another shot. OK?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Ron you got mail. Sorry to see what happen here.