Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any last advise

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
O.K. The table is built and the Egg is coming in about a week! any last advise for a New Egger

Comments

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Rod Evans,
    Read the forum as much as possible, be sure to have lump on hand. I buy several bags at a time as it's not that close to me. [p]Know about the flashback, have lots of meat on hand and come ask questions when in need.[p]Congrats on your new toy, there is a learning curve for some of us (me, LOL) but lots of help here.[p]Regards,
    New Bob

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    Options
    Do something realitively easy at first is what I'd advise. I find steaks one of the easiest things to do.[p]I do mine just like the BGE cookbook says - sear at 600-700° (okay, maybe a little higher), shut down the vents and wait 'til done. I've always used a Polder for the internal temp (thanks Molly), so I can pull them out when they're just right.[p]Oh, and I don't use any rubs, per se, on my steaks. I like to smear on some crushed garlic (sometimes freshly crushed, sometimes what you get in a jar), then salt (I use Kosher salt) and plenty of fresh ground pepper on BOTH sides.[p]I haven't had anything less than a perfect steak so far, IMO. Oh wait ... I did some very thin-cut (~ 3/4 -1") steaks a while ago. They weren't the best, but I wasn't the one who slected the meat! LOL As previously discussed, results generally will only be as good as the meat you select. I always try to keep an open mind when selecting meat - going mostly by looks, not by what sounds good.
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    spatchcock-chick.jpg
    <p />Rod Evans,[p]My suggestion for a first cook would be a spatchcock chicken. It's easy and unlike steaks, it's done at a mid-range heat and the chance of flashback is much reduced.[p]The Naked Whiz has a great site which has a step-by-step narrative on how to do the bird...make sure you look around there a bit. He has established a wonderful lump database and has good information on the phenomenon mentioned above called "flashback".[p]Have fun and welcome to the family!
    QBabe
    :~)

[ul][li]Whiz's Place[/ul]
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    trexsteaks.jpg
    <p />Rod Evans,[p]When you're ready to do steaks, try this method.[p]TRex
    [ul][li]Steak - it's what's for dinner[/ul]
  • Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    TRex,
    Damn.....I sick of this photo!! Makes me drool on my keyboard and co-workers know I'm on the BGE website!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    337%3C884%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2329%3D827%3D97%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3B272994%3Aot1lsi
    <p />Toe 49,[p]Sorry, here's different one for you. ; )[p]TRex
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    TRex,[p]What next.... now you got a branding iron :~)[p]I'm jealous!

• Unknown
    Options
    New Bob,Thanks for the info! Just found lump at lowe's, nascar racing and now lump what a country!