Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless pork loin chops -- sear and dwell -- easy!

Options
Prof Dan
Prof Dan Posts: 339
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lean boneless chops about an inch and a half thick -- smeared 'em with a little cheap yellow mustard and sprinkled on some leftover rib rub. Got the Egg up to 500 for a while to preheat the ceramic. Tossed on a couple of oak chunks.[p]Seared the pork two minutes on a side -- then shut the Egg down and "dwelled" 'em for ten minutes. Tender, juicy, done all the way through.[p]Probably better to brine them first, but that takes too much forethought. This was as fast and easy as steak.[p]Is ten minutes too long to let them dwell? I do steaks by searing them three minutes on a side and then a four minute dwell, but I like steak medium rare, and pork needs to be at a higher internal temp before it's done. Right?[p]Your advice is appreciated!

Comments

• ColoradoCook
    ColoradoCook Posts: 152
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]I do bone in 1.5" chops all the time. I do 2 minutes a side at lava temp and it takes 10 to 13 minute dwell to get them to 145 to 150. I prefer bone-in chops, the meat next to the bone is to die for but watch for flare ups (additional fat) during the sear. [p]Pork doesn't need to be cooked all the way through anymore. The 145 to 150 range yields a very juicy chop with a slight bit of pink in the middle, if you like medium-rare to medium for your chops. Here's a great site for pork: http://www.porktimes.org/prep_menu.htm.[p]CC
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Prof Dan,[p]I do boneless pork chops almost exactly how I do steaks. Season with plenty of salt and pepper, sear at lava temps for 90 seconds a side, rest for 20 minutes, then back on at 400 degrees for roughly 6 minutes/side for 1.5" thick chops.[p]Juicy and delicious everytime.[p]TRex
  • Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    ColoradoCook,[p]Thanks for the 'heads up' on the pork site. Your link supplied did not work for me so I used:[p]http://www.porktimes.org/[p]Regards,
    Hugh.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    That's strange, it worked for me, guess it's my lucky day. LOL[p]Always good too see these links with good information.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob