Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Question

Options
Bahmanicious
Bahmanicious Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last Sunday I made up the dough recipe that OttawaEgg posted. Yielded 10 300 gram dough balls of which two were sacrificed to the egg and 8 went to the freezer.

The pizza crust turned out excellent and was very crispy. Highly pleased with the recipe. Now, when putting it together, I grabbed our largest stainless steel mixing bowl and my DW asked what I was going to let it rise in for the 3 hours. I told her the stainles bowl. She informed me that she had read that one should not let dough rise in a metal bowl, that plastic or glass were better. So, I drug out my grandmothers old punch bowl and put the recipe together.

So, my question, does it make any difference to let dough rise in a stainless bowl?
Best,
WA

Comments

• Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    It sure could have an effect on the dough.Ever rub your fingers on stainless steel after mincing or mashing garlic and the odor goes away?
  • Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    I've always heard glass or ceramic, but I really think it has more to do with heat storage than taste. Bread dough isn't acidic, so there should be no off taste from the metal.

I learned to bake bread the ancient way - from the Tassajara Bread Book. There, the whole idea is to have a warm place for the bread to rise with little fluctuation in temperature. Those old ceramic dough bowls are just the thing for that. Steel bowls can heat or cool quickly, which is just what you *don't* want the dough to do.

Bob V
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Here is an interesting thread on the subject.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070429145330AAhIKee

Sounds like it is more of a problem with sourdough.