Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time ribs.

Options
Raebo
Raebo Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone.
I'm going to do some ribs on my XL on Sunday for my first time.
I have a few questions.
Should I go with indirect, platesetter legs up with a drip pan, Ribs in a V-frame
I intend on using apple chips. ( Better suggestions welcome )
How much/many apple chips should I use? Lets say using a measuring cup.
Temperature setting you would suggest.
Is there ever a time you would go direct? Like possibly finishing them off or is it not required.
Raebo in Alberta says thanks.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It's all trial and error to get what you want.There is no Golden rule.Check out the rib recepies on the website and go with the one you feel fits your tastes.There are a bunch of good ones.I like to go indirect 250 dome for 3 hours then foil for an hour with a little apple juice then go back direct till they firm up.I prefer dry ribs with sauce on the side.But that's just my preference. :)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    The last time I did ribs they were spares and cooked at 250 for 6 and in foil at 250 for 1 and they were nice but not as moist as I would like.

The next time I do ribs I going with spares done in the 3-1-1 plan. rubbed and indirect at 250 for 3, in foil at 250 for 1 and sauced and indirect at 250 for 1 more hour.

Whereabouts in Alberta are you? I'm in Edmonton.

Doug