Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket disappointing

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brisket took eleven hours @ 220° to 230° to 187° internal and it was disappointing. Tender but disappointing. This time I used my own rub concoction. I tried to keep salt to a minimum. Apparently that is not a good idea. It tasted bland, like it needed a salt kicker. Anyway, it was pretty while cooking and my Egg purred like a well tuned engine the whole time. This disappointment was strictly my fault. Well, that an the fact that my horoscope said I was going to screw up today. That's why they make tomorrows.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Still Smokin'
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Add a great q' sauce, or chop it for mexican dishes. I bet you won't be di****ointed. It will also make a great substitute for browned ground beef in your favorite recipes. I always smoke mine pretty heavy with hickory and pecan. I apply a heavy rub that's got lots of salt and sugar in it. Great bark. I prefer it to steak.[p]SS

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Still Smokin',
    I agree. If it's not too good by itself, doctor it up. One of our favorite ways for leftover london broil is to marinate it for fajitas. [p]How'd you get the stars in the title??[p]~nikki

• The Other Dave
    Options
    nikkig, My favorite for di****ointments is to stew the shredded meat with LOTS OF GARLIC and make gyros! Very fine with too much tzaziki(sp), feta cheesa and onions. Man I think I like the dis****oinments as much as the successes!

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]I don't think I've found ANYTHING that tops Elder Ward's brisket rub. One recipe is great for a good size brisket..halve it for a smaller one or it is overwhelming. Only has 4 T of kosher salt for a full size brisket which really isn't bad (I don't do salt well either). You have to have a little salt in there. Just brings out...something.[p]You'll find something yum to do with that brisket. I even found those inedible bottom round roasts end up being fine when cut in chunks for a nice meat salad (have Atkins, will travel ;-D)[p]mShark
  • Still Smokin'
    Options
    nikkig,
    It's my privacy control on Norton Firewall. i must have that letter combination marked as a private thing. Usually it only gets me on my zip code. SS

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    We also did a brisket yesterday. All worked as you described producing a brisket (6 #'S)at 199 deg after 6 1/2 hrs at 235. In contrast to yours, our flavors were great, but I should have pulled it at 190: just a bit dry. Great bark and smoke ring from a 50/50 mixture of DP's Cowlick and Charcrust's terriyaki ginger. Smoke came from two handfuls of dry JD barrel chips. Looking forward to the next one; I'm sure that you are too.