Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket 911

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a small brisket (6#) and was using my Pro Com4. Never ran into this one before and am looking for some advice. I had the Dome temp set for 250 and it went up to 275. I removed the ProCom fan and shut off both the lower draft and put the ceramic cap on the top. Now it is sitting at 275 and just won't seem to come down so I can regulate it in the normal way. Any suggestions?

I have cooked a lot of food on this BGE and never ran into this one before.

Mike

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    It takes a while for the temp to come down on it's own...Assuming that your thermometer is in working order, if you have the cap on and the lower vent closed, you have an air leak somewheres. The gasket would be the logical place.

Very slim chance of this, but you could have a crack in body, but it would have to be a big 'un to let in that much air.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    thirdeye: Thanks for the reply. It finally started coming down and I'll regulate the air flow in the normal way with the vents. The gasket is one of the fiberglass stove gaskets and is in good shape. I had 2 leads going from the pro com into the Egg and they are the new wire covered leads to protect them from the heat. They left a small space and may have been the problem at the low temperatures. After the brisket is done, I'll check the BGE for cracks.

Thanks
    Mike
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Good luck with the cook, Mike! Hope you are doing well.
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    HI Mike! Glad your still on here. I have not been very active, but intend to change that. Still love cooking on the BGE.
    Mike