Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Popped my egg cherry!

Options
Lothar
Lothar Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After over two months of not having a grill I finally got my egg (large) today. As I type I am eating my first steak! Very juicy and tasty! I told my wife to get some thick steaks and she came home with a couple of 1" thick NY Strips and one that was 2-2 1/2" thick. I ended up overcooking the thick one just a little bit but it was still slightly pink in the middle. Also baked some spuds on the egg.

I'm anxious to try new things on the grill but I know that it will take me a little while to figure out the temp control. My biggest question after my first use is if there is a quicker way to bring the temp down on the egg? Or, is it better to kick foods at lower temps and then bring the heat up to cook foods at higher temps last?

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    You found the right place to ask all your questions.
    Congradulations and welcome to the BGE family.
    To answer your question, it is easier to ramp up the temp vs. cooling down. If you need slow and low for something like a roast pork, once its done, ramp up to finish things like Patatoes etc. Hope that helps explain.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    The first thing you do is not let it get up to a high temp.
    Start with lower temps and play around with the vents.
    Start at 200+ and gradually open the vente to see where you are at.
    My first post was about the same with temps.

Mike
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    They are buggers to get down to a temp after having them on a high temp sear. It usually works out for me to cook things and then raise the temp as you said. I usually do my potatoes and the steaks. Have fun!