Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt nearer the tail! Questions about ham vs shoulder and Sacremento

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have cooked many butts (shoulders) in the last two years that I have had my BGE but have never cooked a hind leg (uncured ham). I have lived in Ohio the until recently where I could buy shoulders on sale for $.99 but never seen hind legs for sale. I have moved to Sacramento and found a hind leg for $.99 and figured that it should smoke for pulled pork just as well.[p]If anyone has help on supplies in Sacramento please let me know. I haven't looked for anything yet. The BGE sat in the shotgun seat from Ohio to Sacramento with a bag of lump and a hungry driver. I am planning to smoke the hind legs tomorrow (Friday) so if there are any thoughts please let me know.[p]BTW - I helped a friend cut down an apple tree and plan to use some chunks. Any experience with apple?[p]Thanks for your help. Formerly Buckeye Bill but need to update profile and change e-mail address.

Comments

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    Bill in CA,[p]First, welcome to California! I live about 30 mi south of San Francisco.[p]Can't help you too much with the ham question, though I think I have seen elsewhere that it tends to have less intersersed fat and may be better smoked to slicing stage rather than pulling stage.[p]On supplies, I checked and there are three Smart and Final stores in Sacramento. They are a good bet for Q items like ribs, butts, briskets, clods, etc. They are a foodservice supply place, so not too shabby for other cooking items. I'm sure there are CostCo's in Sac as well.[p]One of the other ceramic kooker manufacturers is based in Sacramento, and they sell their own lump which, by all references I have seen, is great stuff. They have just announced three new types of lump as well. The Naked Whiz reviewed the original lump in his database, so you should check there for his thoughts. I'd be willing to bet you can also find a BBQs Galore store with a stock of BGE lump. [p]Let's see, lump and meat, I think you should be set for now!! Hopefully someone else will chime in on the ham question. Good luck![p]Rich G.
  • bigmikej
    bigmikej Posts: 216
    Options
    Bill in CA,
    I am not exactly sure why, but Alton Brown said that the shoulder is better than the hind quarters. I am sure it will be tasty, but probably not as pullable as shoulder or butt.[p] I use apple all of the time with some hickory for butts and BB ribs. I hear you have to let it season/dry out for a while if you have not done so already.[p]Good luck!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Bill in CA,[p]I asked the same question a few months back. As I recall, it is cooked more like a ham or loin roast and not at all like a butt. The meat is much more lean and will dry out if you're not careful. Cook to around 140° internal and slice.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Big John
    Big John Posts: 48
    Options
    Bill in CA,
    I havd cooked about 6 fresh hams for pulled pork. I cook them the same as a boston butt. They taste great. I bring the internal temperature to 200 degrees. They don't have as much fat as a butt, however they taste really good.[p]Big John

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Bill in CA,
    I recently tried your exact experiment and was not as happy with the Ham. I cooked it to 200 like a shoulder, and it was drier than the shoulder because it was so lean. In those areas where there was fat, it was great, but the leaner portions were dry. At 200, the lean parts were not really good enough to slice. Too done. Gaggy dry in fact.[p]I'm done using the Hams, it's back to the Shoulders and Butts.[p]I use apple all the time. Just make sure it is dry. (as in aged, low creosote). A little milder, sweet smoke. Good with pork, veggies, and fish.[p]Mike in MN