Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to install large egg in island

Options
New Egger
New Egger Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all

New egger here, and excited. I am installing a large egg in an island. I am having a hard time finding a template, or something that will give me some guidance. I am thinking I will leave an opening at the bottom for ventalation, and ease of access, without having to go thru a door. Also thinking of a concrete shelf to support the egg.

does anyone have an idea on where I should start?

Thanks a million!

db

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    There are some real nice pictures of eggs in islands here on the forum. I just can't seem to find them.

The nicest I have seen is an open square space.

Hopefully some folks will post or at least post a link.

Some things to think about.

If you have your large then you can get the diameter you want. This will depend on how deep you plan on having the opening of the egg in relation the the counter surface.

The hinge will swing lower than the closed position when opening the dome.

Leave about 3/4 to 1 inch clearance around the edge of the egg - as it gets hot. The more confined the hotter the sides will be.

You will need easy access to the lower vent to clean out ash, to use a wiggle stick if needed and for air getting into the egg.

It would be nice to have a heat proof area to put the ceramic cap when the egg is being used and to put the DMFT when the egg is not being used. I put the DTMF inside the egg when shutting down. Once in a while I leave the DFMT off when searing or cooking pizza. I wish I had a spot to put the DFMT rather than on the table or shelf.

That is about it for things to plan for as far as the egg itself.

GG
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Check these tables out for ideas.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

Some very creative Eggheads amongst us.

Spring "Off To Check The Plumbing" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a Large in a table. But if I was to set it in an island (where it's enclosed below the countertop) I would go for one of the designs that's open in front with the Egg sitting on a shelf so you can access it/remove/replace easier.

That and the mitigation of heat buildup.
  • New Egger
    New Egger Posts: 2
    Options
    Great feedback guys, thank you! I like the open design. Functional and practical, and shows off the egg.

Thanks again.
  • RCflier
    RCflier Posts: 57
    Options
    Here's what mine (work in progress) is looking like with that design. This is sized for a medium egg.

IMG_4219.JPG
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Here's mine. I find it very simple to clean out the ash, and there's plenty of air flow around the BGE during cooks so I don't worry about the heat.

grillcenter3.jpg

BGE2.jpg
  • Dude!
    Dude! Posts: 25
    Options
    There's a ton of useful information at nakedwhiz.com. In addition to the link posted, you can find plans with the dimensions you need for whatever you're building here:

http://nakedwhiz.com/tableplans/tableplans.htm

Also, a very informative read on what to put under the Egg can be found here:

http://nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm

If you're a skip to the last page kind of guy, I'll save you the trouble - fire brick, split if you can find it.

Before I was an Egger, I helped a friend build a table using the plans I mentioned - the dimensions are true.