Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moist meat

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have read that the meat is rather moist after being cooked. I like that idea. How different is a steak when it is cooked on the BGE ? Chicken?

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Steak is awsome chicken is out of this world, even the left overs white meat is juicy.
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Chicken and pork loin are the two meats that really show off the moisture retention of the BGE. The first time I made a whole chicken on the BGE I was stunned when the meat was falling off the bone and was not dried out at all.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    How does Beer Can chicken come out ?
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I've done a couple and they were really moist but you really don't need to do it, spatchcocked is just as moist and they cook faster and you have that half of beer (that you didn't use) left over to drink. Win Win to me!
  • Rooster K
    Rooster K Posts: 416
    Options
    Good but I wouldn't waist the beer :evil: ! It is almost like stewing it at that point. I use a beer can chicken recipe and just skip the beer can part(I only drink beer from bottles :laugh: ). Spatchcocked chicken is also very good on the egg.
  • EGGARY
    Options
    What is meant by "SPATCHCOCKED"?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Simply Butterflied. The backbone cut out and laid flat.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    This is one of the Eggers sites. I tried his Spatchcock chicken 2 weeks ago and it was great. He has a video showing how to Spatchcock a chicken and all the prep directions.
    http://nibblemethis.blogspot.com/
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Spend the money and get a Thermoworks fast read Thermapen - there is a new model coming out and right now a bit of a deal on the current model. The new model is more water resistant.

Anyway, whatever you cook cook it to proper temperature and check it with a quality thermometer. Your food will come out better cooked on or off the egg.

I spent the money to get vertical racks for chicken and turkey. Waste of money. No need to beer can.

Cook parts, quarters, whole, spatchcock, beer can, the chicken if cooked to temperature will be the moist chicken you ever have eaten.

Whole chicken on a large will take about an hour when cooked at 400°, 450° or 500°. You will see juices flow out of the breast. The same with turkey. I have cooked a 23# bird on my large. Best ever and from now on the only way I will do a turkey.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Have you ever posted how many people you normally cook for and how many people you cook for when you have a larger group?

Have you made a decision as to which size egg you want?

GG
  • EGGARY
    Options
    I am going to go towards the XL. When we do have people over, like the kids' birthday party over 25 people. Last week had 14 for Mother's Day and I was using the Gas Grill and the Charcoal grill.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    How many normally - just the family?

GG
  • Seattle Todd
    Seattle Todd Posts: 227
    Options
    The BGE retains moisture in meat amazingly well. I'm very into cooking on and off the Egg and my wife is my biggest critic (I do all the cooking). I've overcooked steaks, chicken and salmon to the point that I was pretty p*ssed when I checked the temp on the thermopen compared to what I was shooting for and my wife always comments that "it's still really juicy".

The BGE isn't foolproof. I'm occasionally a fool and have proven that. :lol: But the moisture retention is one of the definate plusses.

My advice is to get a large, keep your other cookers, and when you realize they don't put out as good food get another large or a medium. :laugh:
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Normally it is a family of 4 but when we have family over and some friends it can be over 14 -20
  • RGBHV
    RGBHV Posts: 1,318
    Options
    GTI -

I agree with Seattle Todd.

I have a family of 6 and routinely cook for 20 or more people and there's plenty of room on my large.

I seem to recall that you were concerned about real estate on the grill...

It hasn't happened very often, but any time I think I need more space (for dogs or hamburgers for the kids) I use my gasser and it's fine. If you plan your cooks right, you won't need to use the gasser as the dogs / burgers can go on while your " adult" meal is resting.

Something that was interesting last fall, my wife and I cooked two turkey's (one on the egg and one on our weber gasser) and her girl friend turned it into a competition. It was loads of fun - all of our friends voted for the best one, (the egg won by the way) there were BBQ prizes and everything. I posted some pics showing both turkeys on the forum, you can check them out doing a search of the old post.

I have now expanded my egg family to include a small so that I have something to cook on when it's just the wife and I and maybe the kids depending on what I cook.

If I remember correctly, your grill was quite expensive - for the same amount of money, you could probably get a large, medium and small.

Food for thought.

Michael
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    There we go...

Keep in mind I have not used an XL so... my thoughts are that an XL would be too large except for your get together cooks.

With some planning the large will handle your cooks when the size of groups you stated come over. You will end up wanting (justifying) another egg for those large cooks or because you want to cook at different temperatures. You will possibly be tempted to get a smaller egg, I wouldn't. I would get another large and possibly a mini. The mini will work fine for your family for quicker cooks.

On an XL, the size will handle your cooks for when the number of folks you said below come over. It seems to me it will be too big for the majority of your cooks with the family. If you are cooking for groups often, weekly, that is again something else to think about. There is something that you should think about... Hopefully you have taken the opportunity to email and talk with Tom (tjv) it seems like he is working on some accessories for smaller cooks on the XL.

With the information you provided my thoughts are if you get and XL we will hear you are getting a smaller egg for family cooking. Should this happen don't be tempted on getting anything much smaller than a large.

There is the wife and I the majority of the time. Once a month we cook for the whole family plus some others if we invite them over so 24 for the family plus 2 to 6 more.

Knowing what I know now and if I were starting over I would seriously look in to the XL (if the accessories stated above were available) and get a second large and a mini.

OR

I would get 1 large, later add a mini then add another large. If I had the money I would get all three at once.

In either case I wouldn't bother with a medium or small.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Michael,

You own an egg and put dogs and burgers on a gasser! May as well nuke them (dogs not the kdis). How could you, don't you love your kids. :laugh:

Dogs and burgers on the egg are the best.

Kent
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hi Kent: (Ha! Ha!)

You know what's worse...the food on the gasser is usually frozen dogs and frozen patties bought at the local grocery store.

At a family get togethers, the kids (10-20) scarf the stuff down so fast they could be eating cardboard and they wouldn't notice the difference as long as there's dessert afterwards.

If the kids want tasty food, they can eat the adult food off the egg.

Michael
  • Bahmanicious
    Bahmanicious Posts: 105
    Options
    GG,
    I've had my large a couple of years or so now and am going to add a second Egg this month. I was planning on going with the small, mostly for cooking at different temps, but also because it was more portable than a large or medium.

Just curious, what have you got against the med and small? The mini just seems too small to me, but, I don't have experience with anything but the large, so, I am ready to be educated.
    Best,
    WA
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Check your email.

GG