Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread from Pizza Dough?

Options
Jersey Doug
Jersey Doug Posts: 460
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Did anyone here ever bake a lump of pizza dough as a loaf of bread? I'd like to learn to bake bread on the Egg and this seems like an easy way to get started. Any thoughts about time and temperature? (I cook pizza at 450º indirect on a pizza stone on a raised grid for 10-12 minutes.)

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Shape your dough into a loaf and set it on your peel with parchment paper under it. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap and let it rise until it has doubled in size. Just before putting it in the egg, brush the crust with an egg wash and make a few slashes across the top with a razor blade or a sharp serrated knife. Bake until it is golden brown with an internal temp around 200. -RP
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There was an Egger about 2 years ago posting pics of some wonderful looking loaves. A cup with water was placed on the inverted place setter to provide enough steam to let the dough rise as it cooked on the grate.

I've used a commercial bread dough, Rhodes brand, that advertises that the white loaf can be used for pizze. It had worked O.K. for me in both roles. But recently the local market has had pizza specific dough from them. Haven't tried it uet, but evidently there is enough difference between the pizza and loaf dough that they promote it seperately.

If you have some pizza dough to use up, AZRP's recommendations should work well. But cheap white loaf frozen dough may be worth a try also.
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    If I get the pizza done early enough tomorrow I'll probably try baking a loaf of bread while the Egg is still hot.