Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Onions - Oh My Heck

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not wanting to hi-jack Clark's post yet inspired by the comments...

I made up a couple of CWM onions with butter & bullion cube. Then fell off the band wagon and did some stuffed peppers.

I decided to play around a little and cut up some onion rings. Some oil in the ceramic DO. Got some bread flour and seasoned it with S&P then added a healthy dose of DP Jamaica Fire Walk. Put the onion slices in some egg white then in the JFW flower then in the oil to fry.

Those were the best onion rings I have ever tasted. I am going to pick up some mushroom, zucchini and some other veggies to bread.

I used some apple wood but didn't get any smoke flavor that I could taste in the 'frying'.

I am now wondering if I should fry in the wok. I am thinking I could hook up the DigiQII to control the heat use either the spider with the wok or the DO and get a pretty nice fry station going.

I was a bit concerned about the oil & possible flame but the first attempt turned out great.

Eggs & onions = fun and some good eat'n.

Other onion treats are on the egg now.

GG

Comments

• Pancakes
    Pancakes Posts: 45
    Options
    We would go camping and throw in chunks of Vidalia with some butter and Southern Comfort in some foil and toss em the fire for cheddar wurst toppings. I just remembered those and think that Friday night may be a night for that on the Egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That sounds really good. That too sounds good. There is a lot of fun stuff to try.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    I was gonna ask for pictures, but I'm sure the goodies didn't last long enough! :woohoo: :whistle: Sounds delicious! :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Hi there kiddo...

I didn't take pictures. I really had no idea how to do the breading. So, in one bowl I took an egg white, in another bowl, flower, s&p and the DP rub. Dredged the rings in the egg white then dredged in the flour mix.

I did 2 batches. Both tasted very good. The rings were thin. On the second batch I cut the rings about 1/4" thick. They ended up cooking a bit thin also. The batter was a bit splotchy but covered pretty well I am guessing 85 to 90 percent.

I am wondering if I overcooked and that made the rings cook thinner or shrink in height. The diameter didn't seem to change.

I am wondering if I need to double dredge and or cook less time. Bad thing is I didn't time either cook.

I do want to do some other veggies though and I hope I can come up with the same favor of the DP seasoning.

The flavor was good enough that no one wanted anything to dip the rings in.

Kent