Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tjv's new XL setup and wings

Options
PWise
PWise Posts: 1,173
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was lucky enough (and really appreciate it) to be able to convince Tom of selling me the new spider/raised grid/lump reducttion setup for the new firering of the XL...

I wanted to try it sunday night as soon as I got in from Austin, but we ate out... :pinch: I finnally got to try it yesterday night and what better for that raised grill than some wings...

I had been using the platesetter/grill setup but found I had to turn them quite often because the heat from the platesetter would charr the skin (not enough air space).

This is the setup I used:
DSC_4960.jpg
DSC_4961.jpg
DSC_4962.jpg
DSC_4963.jpg

As you can see I used the "coal reduction ring" (I don't know how Tom calls it) and it's amazing, I used half the lump I would've normally used for the XL and I still consider it to be less than other cookers...

Cooked the wings raised at 350°F for about 30 mins... internal was 205 when pulled.

DSC_4964.jpg
DSC_4965.jpg
DSC_4966.jpg
DSC_4968.jpg
DSC_4969.jpg
DSC_4970.jpg

Congrats on an "EGGSELENTE" product Tom... and thanks again!

Cheers!

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hi Pato,
    Tom makes the best gear for the XL.
    In addition to Tom's flip ring I cut my plate setter legs off and use it lower in the XL with Tom's drop down bracket. This set up is the best I have found. It also makes the plate setter easy to store because it is now flat. It is very easy to change from indirect to direct using these pieces and the heat between grid and setter is lower because of the increased distance.
    darian
    P.S. this system is copy protected and can only be used after the purchase of my book...LOL
    XLwStoneandPan.jpg
    XLwStoneandFeet.jpg
    Wingslarge.jpg
    Wings.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Darian,

Did you put brown sugar & cayenne pepper on those bacon wrapped l'il smokies??? Delicious....& not copyrighted... :laugh:
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    What did you put on the wings? They look delicious!!

I haven't seen the "coal reduction ring" before and can't find it on the web site. Is this an R&D piece or is it available for purchase?

Thanks.
  • PWise
    Options
    That looks great! what did you use to cut it? Did you wear a face mask? I've heard that ceramic dust is really bad for you...

Cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    Hey Brad:

I don't know if it's still in the R&D stage, he was using it right then and there in Austin and agreed to sell it, and I didn't ask anymore questions hahaa...

I have seen that the setup for the NEW (three dimple) firering on the XL, is not listed on his webpage still as neither is the "reduction ring"... it works like a charm though...

For the wings I did them like I almost always do... Oiled them in a ziploc, except this time I used avocado oil instead of olive or peanut, and then sprinkled a rub I make with cayene, red chile powder, black pepper, salt, maple sugar, sugar, turbinado sugar, paprika, garlic powder, and celery salt. You can use Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk instead and works like a charm! Then just grill direct/raised at 350 until done.

Cheers!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    The plate setter cut very easy. I used a tile bit on a roto zip type drill. I sanded the ends smooth with a palm sander. Not much dust but I did this out side. A large pizza stone would also work but I already had the plate setter.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I was running low on a couple of Dizzy Pig spices and just finished off the bottles.
    Raging River
    Shakin the Tree
    Fire Walk
    If you wrap it in bacon, they will eat it...
    Hard to go wrong with any of the DP spices.
    The little smokies in bacon were really good.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PWise
    Options
    Yeah, same here... I think I'll be using my dremel with a tile bit as well... I can't find any other use for the plate setter with legs now with Tom's setup and all...

Thanks for the idea!

cheers!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Can you tell more about avocado oil?
    Sorry for all the questions but your cooking is amazing.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PWise
    Options
    Sure no prob! Thanks for the compliment!
    I was really experimenting... I know several things about it from my purveyor and from personal research (anyone who knows something else or can correct some of the info I hold, please do):

It's healthy like extra virgin olive oil, some say healthier.
    It differs in it's high smoking point (almost 500°F) so it's good and healthy for sauteing and frying.
    It carries well other flavors without imparting one (this is why I tried it on the wings to absorb the seasonings).
    It hides certain flavors (like when used raw on a raw celery salad, you can really hide or reduce (if you want) the characteristic taste of raw celery.

Anyone else know something else?

Cheers!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you for the information and education.
    Sounds like a great oil to try.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    If you cut into the plate setter a little further than I did the left over pieces of the legs make great "L" shaped spacers for holding drip pans. Mine work but another 1" would have worked better. My flip ring will rest on the cut down plate setter and raise it a little more if needed.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • PWise
    Options
    Yeah... I noticed... that's a great idea!

Thanks...
    cheers!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Between Grillmeister's wings and now these pics.....I gotta do wings this week. All I snagged Saturday at the fest was one drumette. Just not enough wings for a fella of my waist line.

Hope you enjoy the XL pieces. The various set-up options should keep you busy for a while.

Just a quick tip on the lump reducing ring. No need to cook everything directly over the lump. You can spread the cook out toward the grid's edge for more of a quasi-indirect affect. You'll just need to play to see what grid height works best for different foods. The wings do look mighty tasty.

Great meeting you! tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • PWise
    Options
    Yeah, I did that (moving the wings out of the way of the fire for a "semi direct" cook yesterday and it workd like a charm... really great rig... I was thinking also, for a really slow "direct" fire to put the lump OUTSIDE the ring and cook above, inside... haven't tried it yet, have you?

The pleasure is all mine and hope to meet again soon!

Cheers!
  • PWise
    Options
    Anytime my friend!

Cheers!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Those wings look fantastic Pato. I hate to ask you this cause I'm always begging for your recipes, but what did you put on your wings?
    Also, you have a crack in your egg. What happened?
  • PWise
    Options
    Hey Anne:

Don't scare me... what crack? where?

For the wings I did them like I almost always do... Oiled them in a ziploc, except this time I used avocado oil instead of olive or peanut, and then sprinkled a rub I make with cayene, red chile powder, black pepper, salt, maple sugar, sugar, turbinado sugar, paprika, garlic powder, and celery salt. You can use Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk instead and works like a charm! Then just grill direct/raised at 350 until done.

Cheers!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I gave cooking outside the ring a shot.
    I filled a weber charcoal starter with lump and fired it up. When the lump was hot I poured it around the ring in the XL over a small layer of unlit lump. I cooked a small prime rib in the middle. Was more work than it was worth. Air flow and temp was not very even.
    I tried a lower temp cook the first time but areas around the ring wanted to die and the front would get much hotter. Just easier to cook and control temp with the lump in the ring. Pushing the ring to back of the Egg also works great.
    darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    I think the "crack" is in the second picture. It's the uneven line between the firebox and firering.
  • Midnight Smoker
    Options
    Where can one acquire a lump reducing ring? Inquiring minds want to know (and purchase!!!).
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    working to put info up on the world wide web now. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • PWise
    Options
    Well I don't see in the picture... I think the firering is just misaligned from the firebox... and I just came from downstairs... and no crack... wheeeuiuff.... :silly:

Cheers!
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    In the second picture near the top, it looks like a horizontal crack. Is that a wire or something else perhaps?
    Would you mind sharing the exact measurements for the ingredients for the rub? I've used Jamaican Firewwalk and it is good. Those wings just look tooooo good!!