Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza & Gasket

Options
407BGE
407BGE Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked some pizza tonight and it was awesome. Stabilized large egg at 750 for 45 minutes and pizzas cooked in less than 3 minutes. Crispy crust and meted cheese! Yum!

During my last pizza (I cooked 4) I opened the lid and the entire gasket burst into flames. My gasket was completely on fire.

I've had the egg a little more than a year and the gasket is (was) in pretty bad shape. Now it is gone, I mean gone as in no longer there.

I guess it saved me the time that I would have to spend scraping it off. :laugh:

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Hello...at first I thought you were a troll looking for a fight, but maybe not...but why do you feel the need to bake a pizza at 750°?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    I've got one word for you.

NOMEX ! :woohoo:
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    Wow.....must have been a sight! You are right though, prep work made easy.

Haven't made pizza yet. Definitely on the to do list.
  • Rib Bones
    Rib Bones Posts: 449
    Options
    How hot can the NOMEX handle?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    I got it to 775 for about an hour and the Nomex stood strong. I don't know how much more it could take it was begining to smoke all the spillage out of the gasket. I didn't want to push it so I went ahead and shut her down. Got my Egg nice and clean. :laugh:
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    I find that the hotter the egg the better the pizza. I don't make my pizzas very thick but the crust and the toppings at 700+ simply taste better to me.

Understand that the traditional pizza in Italy is cooked in less than 90 seconds at 900+ degree pizza ovens.

I really like low and slow for pork but hot and fast is how I like my pizza (as well as other things :P )