Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the best way to light the Egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have seen various ways on the forum for lighting the egg:[p]- Fire starters (cubes)
- Propane fire stick
- electric starters
- Chimineys[p]What are the pros and cons for these? I was leaning toward an electric started be cause I have a plug nearby. Should I go with something different? Has anyone used something then switched to something else that they now swear by?[p][p]

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]I use Strike-A-Fire starter sticks made by Diamond Match Co. I get 'em at Publix for $1.99/pack of 10. I break off about ½" pieces and I can get 5 or 6 out of each stick. I'm happy with these. I just embed the starter a little ways into the charcoal, light it and leave lid open, go prep meat or whatever in the kitchen, come back in 5 mins or so and close the lid and dial in the temperature I need.[p]You will get lots of suggestions for a MAPP gas torch. Everyone who has spent the money is happy with them from what I hear. Walmart has them ($39 locally) and I haven't heard of anyone emptying a gas cylinder yet. Replacement cylinders are $7 or so.[p]Jim[p]PS I used electric when I got my first Egg 6 years ago and I like either of the two methods above much better.
  • ajw1976
    ajw1976 Posts: 21
    Options
    Robmiester,
    I use an electric starter and I think it is the best. I used to use a chimney starter, but I got tired of all the paper ash blowing all over my patio. I also use starter cubes every once in a while, but the electric starter is a one time $7 charge (hey, i'm cheap).

• Smoke 'n Things
    Options
    Robmiester,
    I also use the electric starters. My BGE is located on the back porch near an outdoor GFE outlet. I would recommend that you make sure your outlet is GFE. Things do get wet outside and after a while the electric starters deteriorate and short out. I have buying the a Charbroil starter from Home Depot for about $8 instead of the BGE version for about $20. The Charbroil one is straight, but I am able to put a little bend in it without too much trouble.[p]I also keep a package of fire starters handy just in case the electric power is out.
    Smoke 'n Things

• Unknown
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]Webber charcoal lighter cubes (white ones that come in a ice-cube type tray) and the strike lighter sticks mentioned above.[p]When desperate just wad up a sheet of news paper and stuff it under the charcoal.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]I've used the Webber cubes under the chimney mostly, but I recently got this torch that only attaches to one of the large gas-grill type tanks...that dude will have me at 700 degrees in less than 10 minutes. So the torch for me.[p]Kurt
  • Animal Eater
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]I swear by MAPP torches. They are fast because you can light your coals in multiple places, you barely have to fuss with the coals left from the previous cook, an $8 bottle of gas lasts for EVER, they have many other uses, take up minimal space, they are cool soon after you shut it off, I can go on. The electric starters are good but you have to remember to come back and turn it off, they don't last very long, they are still hot after you pull them out (i.e. children), they serve one purpose only, you need an outlet.

• Unknown
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]Fire starers work great for me!

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]MAPP gas is far and away the best starter I've found. Starts coals in less than 2 minutes. Quick & easy. Initial investment for the torch is around $30 - well worth it once you try it. Refill cans around $8 but they go forever.[p]Doug

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    Robmiester,[p]I'm still a newbie, but I can't imagine using anything but a Mapp torch. I'm at 500 degrees in under 10 minutes. It's quick, easy and cheap, plus you can sweat just about any size pipe you want... :)[p]JMO,[p]Ryan