Christened my brand new large egg yesterday - made spare ribs and they were the best I've ever made!
But of course I do have some questions after losing my egg-ginity.
Here's what I did:
- soaked Jack Daniels chips (a good handful) for about 90 mins
- hit the ribs with some random BBQ rub we had lying around
- put enough lump into the Egg to cover the vents by about an inch or so
- put the soaked chips around the coals (random distribution)
- put a starter square in the middle and lit it
- left top open for about 10 mins then closed it
- left top and bottom vents open. By now the smell was intoxicating and the temp camp up to around 250.
- put the plate setter on (feet up), put grill on top, and put the meat on.
- cooked for about 4.5 hrs at between 225 and 250
So now my questions:
1. I think I did something wrong setting up the lump coal - too much, or maybe I need to use more than one starter square. I wasn't able to get the temp to go over 250 even if I left the top and bottom vents wide open. Seems that the coals didn't light up as I expected they would so there was a lot left over.
2. At the 3 hour mark I wasn't able to get it to go above 200 even with both vents wide open, so I had to relight it. There was a lot of unburned coals.
3. If I didn't use the plate setter would it have gotten hotter because of the increased airflow?