Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Stoker Temperature Controller vs bbq guru

baehman
baehman Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like some help here. I am going to order one of these. I have done research and they both look to be very good. I see now there is a new CyberQ II. I would like to have this before next weekend. Any feedback would help.

Comments

• Love my Stoker. I run my Egg and 2 UDS's with it. Works great. Pretty simple to use. Comes with a fan and a pit probe. I don't use a meat probe anymore since I got a Thermapen. I can plug it into a wireless unit and see it on my computer, etc.
    I do know the Stoker guy is an engineer and he avoids email. So its best to call him and ask your questions. Emails will just go unanswered.

The guru is pretty good, too. Just set it and forget it. It only controls one pit, and I needed a bit more control. Costs about the same.

The cyperQ is so new, not many people have it. Kind of like a Stoker but a bit more expensive and a touch limited. Thats just from reading the specs.
  • As far as I know, no one has yet figured out how to use the CyberQ wirelessly. It hooks up to the computer by the USB port. I'd love to have one to play with, but my Stoker works fine for me.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    I would definitely go with the Cyber Q. Ijust bought one at the Waldorf fest and got to see a demo of it and it's an amazing piece of equipment. Before you do anything, talk to the people at the BBQ Guru for more detailed info. They are great. Kenny Baker, who works for the BBQ Guru is on the forum and he is always willing and there to answer any question. For the little bit of extra money the new Cyber Q is the way to go, just my opinion.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Perhaps it would be best if you'd describe how you'd like to use the device, and what features are more important to you. I have both (guru not cyber-q) No question that the guru line is well made by good people. The stoker is probably more flexible and "powerful" in what you can do with it.
  • baehman
    baehman Posts: 13
    well I am new to the egg. I got mine a few months ago. I just got my egg in my table. I have done ribs, steak, burgers, pizza. My wifes favorite has been the pulled pork. So I guess I am willing to try just about anything. the pulled pork was my 2nd cook. I am leaning to the Stoker because of the flexability.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have bought them both DigiqII (q2) & Stoker.

I found out either one won't be used as much as I thought it would as the novelty wore off.

However, I always use one or the other on overnight cooks, cooks I don't want to be bothered with watching temperatures or long cooks where I want a specific grid temperature. Like long simmering of soups or a long pot roast cook.

They both work great and of good quality. I haven't tried the new CyberQ nor have I looked into the price.

I like the size of the q2. Features, the Stoker simply can monitor more food and or eggs and can control more fans.

UnConundrum has a picture where he is controlling 6 eggs at one time.

For me if the CyberQ was a lot more than the Stoker then I would get the Stoker. If equal price I would look into the CbyerQ further before buying.

The CyberQ for now has a liimited number of probes/fans but for most folk that may not be an issue.

Other than options, you won't go wrong with any of these.

GG
  • glousteau
    glousteau Posts: 124
    I just got my stoker last week and used it overnight. It worked great in conjunction with StokerLog (Amir's software). There are some other programs out there for the Stoker, but I haven't used them yet. Found this one, but don't know how to use it

http://github.com/tbuser/stoker/tree/master

The stoker is definitely easier to hook to your network and get pretty graphs. Ethernet is easier to "extend" than USB IMHO.

I do think the novelty will wear off after a while, but it sure was fun to watch the graph build.

Last comment based on your wanting it for next weekend, if you order a stoker today - you probably won't get it by the weekend. Mine took about 2 weeks to ship. I've heard Guru ships much quicker.a
  • Chappy
    Chappy Posts: 198
    If you buy the stoker, call them directly to buy it. If you just do it on the internet, I doubt you will have it by next weekend. It took mine a while to get here, and no confirmation that it was ordered or shipped. You must call.
  • UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    The software at github was written by us. You have to be pretty familiar with Ruby on Rails to use it. We host it for my use at http://stoker.unconundrum.com You can look at some previous cooks, but it's tied to my stoker and you have to log in to control it (for obvious reasons). We've been discussing adding the ability to create an account and control your stoker from our software.... that would give everyone access from anywhere they can get internet connectivity. We're not really equipped for massive usage, but I guess if it took off, John would host it. If something like that would interest anyone, you have to let me know.

BTW, I would NOT charge if I did it..... it would be a free service of my company.